Friday, October 30, 2009

October's Book Discussion: Little Britches

I really enjoyed this book, and I know this isn't the last time I will read it. I think this could become a family tradition, just like the Moody's who read during their picnics or in the evening hours together.
What impressed me most was the love Ralph had for his father. His stories reflect his love and admiration, but so does the way he wrote his book, approximately 40 years after his father passed away. I don't think many fathers out there are perfect, but Charlie Moody certainly was in the eyes of his son.
I admired the way Charlie taught his son. I know I tend to be preachy and nagging. The second I see something amiss in my children's behavior, I tend to let them know. But Charlie always waited for a quiet moment. Usually after Ralph's conscience had already worn on him a while. And he always corrected with love. Ralph said, "I always loved him more after he scolded me than I did at any other time." That is definietly something to work towards.
The book seemed to end so quickly. When I got to the chapter, "So long, Partner" I thought, surely that doesn't mean his father is going to die! He wrote the last chapter kind of like he lived it - it all happened so quickly and was kind of surreal, and he didn't know what was going to happen next.
Other things I will remember about this book are: Ralph's "character house", his pheasant incident, and the courage it took to own up to the sheriff, the independence and trust Ralph's parents gave him, Ralph's integrity while living at the Cooper's, especially in trying not to think the swear words he heard so often, how happy he was to see his family on the weekends, the speech his father gave him after talking to Lucy; about honest work and not thinking the world owed you a living.
The Moody's did a good job raising their children. I'd love to hear what your thoughts were!

1 comment:

Kami said...

I thought this was a fun book to read. I had to return it to the library and forgot to write down my favorite quote. But, there were many examples of a great father/son relationship.

I always seem to enjoy reading stories in which people are faced with challenges I've never endured (endless hunger, poverty, persecution). It's always amazing to me how they not only survive, but even find joy and happiness despite their circumstances. If only we could all be as thrilled with such simple things as new socks and underwear for Christmas!

I'd like to read the other books by Ralph Moody. Thanks for the recommendation.