
I recently finished reading "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas. I have discovered that I love historical fiction. I love the insight these novels give to other periods of time, and this book is no different. It is set in the coal mining town of Middle Swan, Colorado in the 1930's and is about an old woman named Hennie Comfort. She has lived there for 70 years, when she came there as a young woman to marry a coal miner after losing her husband and daughter. When a young couple moves to town, she takes the girl, Nit, under her wing. Hennie sees much of herself in the girl, and sets out to help her feel at home, teaches her about living in the town, and helps her become accepted by the others in the small community. They are also quilters and it is was fun to read the analogies between quilting and life. Through a series of stories told to Nit, we learn about this woman's life, about faith, about hard work and perseverance, about heartbreak and love, and about forgiveness. I really enjoyed this story, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys these type of stories.
3 comments:
Thanks for the suggestion, Andrea. I like historical fiction, too. Have you read Sandra Dallas' "Persian Pickle Club"? It is set in Oklahoma (I think) during the dust bowl days, and has lots of quilting, too. Maybe Dallas is a quilter???
I especially love reading books about the places I live, so I'll definitely have to read this one with some Colorado history tucked in.
Thanks!
I just picked this up from the library yesterday and am so excited to read it--thanks for the recommendation!
I just finished this book and just really loved it! Not much to say except I highly recommend it. Thanks Andrea!
Oh, and it made me want to say, by way of farewell, to anyone I meet, "Tap'er light." How cool is that saying?
Post a Comment