
I told Adri I would post a book in August, and I'm only a month late! This is one of those books that chose me...I saw it on the shelf at WalMart and bought it for my 9-year old daughter to read. Kate DiCamillo also wrote "The Tale of Despereaux" and "Because of Winn-Dixie." Good track record, huh? My daughter started reading aloud to me and I was hooked! Here is the book's description:
"Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.
And then, one day, he was lost.
Kate DiCamillo and Bagram Ibatoulline take us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again."
As a young girl, I always knew my dolls and stuffed animals had feelings...I loved them! This book is about a china rabbit who is very proud of himself and how fine he is, and is loved by a girl, but is too self-consumed to care much for her...then, he was lost and his journey to learning how to love and be loved begins. It is beautifully illustrated and is a very sweet, easy-to-read story. And my daughter said it was better than "Despereaux."
5 comments:
Thanks for this review, Andrea. I'm a HUGE Kate DiCamillo fan and with each book love her more and more. I read this out loud to my kids last year and loved it. Then, just last week, we picked up the audio book version for a road trip. We all loved it again. The reader, whose name I can't remember, is FABULOUS.
I think I agree with Aliza...this one just might be better than "Despereaux."
P.S. We listened to the audio book of DiCamillo's "Because of Winn-Dixie" on this road trip, too, and I also loved that reader. DiCamillo's books are even better the second time around.
I am so excited to read this to my kids! We have read many of DiCamillo's books, but for some reason not this one. I agree with Adri in that her books are often better the second time around. Great review! Thanks!
It is a very fun "read out loud" book!!!
Kate DiCamillo is one of my favorite authors. I am reading Despeareaux to my Children's Literature class this semester. It is wonderful to see their reactions, even as adults they love it.
Her new book looks good as well. The Elephant's Magician or something like that. I was going to by it at B&N, but it's cheaper at Target. And probably even better prices at Costco or Sam's Club. Happy reading.
Post a Comment