Tuesday, May 27, 2008

June Book: "Girls Gone Mild" by Wendy Shalit

I just want you all to know I have had the hardest time deciding what book to pick this month, but have finally settled on Wendy Shalit's "Girls Gone Mild", because I have a feeling it will spark a lot of discussion. In it, she discusses the sexual-counter revolution taking place in our society of young girls rebelling against the blatent messages our media and culture sends regarding their sexuality. Our society makes "bad girls" good, and "good girls" bad. In over 100 in-depth interviews with girls aged 18-28, and taken from over 3,000 emails and letters received by Shalit, she continues her discussion on the "lost virtue" of modesty and the pressures our young people are faced with. I must admit that I have not read this book yet, but am a huge fan of her first book published in 2000 called "A Return To Modesty" and have been anxious to read this one. According to many reviews she has hit a nerve with many young girls and women out there and more and more are backing her up. I don't doubt that she may relate some albeit shocking antics and perhaps even disturbing behaviors so I will put that out there as a disclaimer. I wasn't offended by her first book...a little shocked yes, but having grown up in an increasingly sexualized society, I felt validated and relieved that someone other than our very wise church leaders and parents saw what was wrong and had enough courage to condemn. After nearly 10 years of research, this book couldn't come at a better time for not only ourselves, but our young women. I hope you'll join with me in reading this book and perhaps we'll discover that "Mild" is the new "Wild"! How's that for cheesy?!?!? :) I'll look forward to your thoughts next month!!!

2 comments:

Adri said...

FYI...I had to order this because it wasn't in my library system. So, any of you UTAH Bookworms who are still looking for it, you are welcome to borrow my copy. Just e-mail me!

Nicole said...

Bookworms,

I just finished this book...and wanted to let you know how sorry I am for not reading it before hand because I wouldn't have chosen it had I known what some of the content was. I won't be offended if you choose not to read it. I'm dissapointed that Wendy Shalit can't be a little more "modest" in her writing. She tends to ere on the shocking side of describing some of the things our young people are doing and doesn't focus as much on the positive side of things. She makes some really good points, but you have to sift through a lot of junk before you get to them. If I could take it back, I would have chosen the book written by Elder Holland about this very same subject. He's very eloquent and inspiring, which is what we need to hear. So...sorry once again. :(