Monday, April 28, 2008

Book for the Month of May!



After much deliberation, I have chosen the book The Chosen, by Chaim Potok (the groovy 80's illustration on the cover sold me!). I am hoping that it will be an easy find for everyone (I know that there are copies in my local library system in both paperback and on cd). I hope that not too many of you have read this. It is a book that is read in some high school and college english classes, so hopefully it will be free of objectionable content. With that being said... here is a little blurb about this one.


In 1940s Brooklyn, New York, an accident throws Reuven Malther and Danny Saunders together. Despite their differences (Reuven is a Modern Orthodox Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe), the young men form a deep, if unlikely, friendship. Together they negotiate adolescence, family conflicts, the crisis of faith engendered when Holocaust stories begin to emerge in the U.S., loss, love, and the journey to adulthood. The intellectual and spiritual clashes between fathers, between each son and his own father, and between the two young men, provide a unique backdrop for this exploration of fathers, sons, faith, loyalty, and, ultimately, the power of love.

2 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

love love love love LOVE this book Ann. Great choice.

mags said...

I read this book along time ago, so long ago that I can't remember most of it. I can't wait to reaquaint myself with it!