
Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret
This book is the true story of a young girl who contracted Polio in 1949. It follows her for one year, from initial diagnosis, through treatment and eventually, recovery. It is written from a first person POV and feels almost like like a journal. Ms. Kehret is clever and upbeat and a pleasure to read. The book is full all sorts of the medical and technical things about Polio about which I had no idea. It really wasn't all that long ago and I had never known anyone who had gone through it. It was fascinating to follow all the relationships in her life and see how they affected her recovery. Her family was a huge support and possibly responsible for her turn-around at her sickest point. They also were of great support to the other children in the hospital with her, many of whom were essentially abandoned by their own loved ones. It was a really interesting window into a time and experience I hadn't realized I knew very little about. It is an inspiring and uplifting read and leaves you feeling blessed and grateful for all that you have.
1 comment:
Thanks for posting, Angie---and without a reminder e-mail! You get a gold star! I've never heard of this book, but it sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment