Thursday, April 24, 2008

Book Discussion: Dark Angel


Navigating polygamy at this particular moment is a tad ironic I suppose! I hope you all enjoyed the book, whether you did or not, at least we can say it was NOT boring! I am excited to see what you all think. I think a book like this is bound to illicit many varying opinions and I hope you will not be afraid to share your views, whatever they may be.


Say what you will about Rose and her dirty mouth, but have you ever laughed so hard. The very first chapter, (nay paragraph) has Laurel Anne stripped bare and Rose of course making off hand remarks. I couldn't help but laugh out loud through much of the first few pages. One of my favorites is Rose's initial description of Alva: "....Alva's butt was a blind and dumb sentry...."

This description is certainly a chuckler, but also I think a foreshadowing of sorts as to how Alva views the world, very much blind and dumb to what is actually going on. It sort of shocks me that she would marry Lee, when obviously he was only doing it for Colleen. However honorable and kind Colleen's intentions, I think Alva should have seen the painful writing on the wall.


I think the major message in this book centers on love and the part that faith plays into it. Fulton for all his southern gentility, and upbringing could not find hope amidst a ruined life, and the fear of having faith in any kind of loving relationship with anyone. Rose talks about this through our meetings with Josh and Silla, how wounded a soul Josh is, wounded himself by a wounded mother. The difference between mother and son, is that Silla is selfish. She has a very skewed tunnel vision view of her woes. So much so that she can't give love in the one spot she would be sure to recieve it: her own son. Josh on the other hand, took his misery, and learned from it, treating others with kindness and quiet respect. Fulton of course had alot to do with that, extending a hand of kindness where none had been before.

By showing us the difference in temperment of the two, (mother and son) I began to understand why Fulton felt so much hopelessness. He had no one to extend that kindness. People took ONE look at him and became judge, jury, and executioner, letting fear be their north star. Rose states that one thing is her "private and continual prayer,": "God save us all from the best intentions of good people." Even people who try to do good every day can be decieved by fear. Fear is a tool never employed by God as a motivator, only by one who would have us all destroyed. I love that message. Life is full of things to fear, and I think that is one of the reason's we are here, to overcome it, to subdue it. We always talk of faith, almost in a matter that seems nonchalant and automatic. Do we really stop to think that the employ of Faith is to banish fear? Something I think, that is a hard task, something that requires almost constant effort for me.


One of the things I disliked about the book was Laurel Ann disrobing in front of Fulton. I just thought it unnecessary and unlikely for that time period. But then I thought of it from a literary stand point. At the beginning of the book as Laurel Ann innocently prances in front of the mirror, maybe the horror and humiliation of the rest of the day, led Laurel Ann to believe that was the one thing she had to use as her weapon. I think she felt degraded enough to believe that was all she had to use, and I also agree with Rose that because Laurel Ann was so pure she was really countering Fulton's "face of Satan....by showing him the face of God.." not her nakedness, but her unselfish desire to save both Henry and Fulton. Fulton's refusal shows us just how strong he is, and teaches Laurel Ann that she has other qualities of just as much worth as her beauty.


I think I've drawn this out long enough. Please share your thoughts!!!


6 comments:

Adri said...

Wow! I just finished this book and it has certainly given me a lot to think about. I, too, thought it was so funny. I couldn't help but laugh at the way Kirby pokes fun of those, like Alva, who love to wear their spirituality on their sleeve. And, it certainly was an interesting look at polygamy. I, personally, haven't spent much time thinking about the ins and outs of day-to-day life as a sister-wife...mostly because I hate the thought of it. But, I think Kirby's description of Colleen's generosity and Alva's frustrations are interesting to think about.
Thank you, Maggie, for your eloquently stated ideas on faith and fear. I'm definitely most often of the fearful and faithless variety, but stories such as this help me to remember that true Christianity is looking not on the outward appearance, but as the Lord does, on the heart.
Thanks for a fascinating read, Maggie!

Nicole said...

This is not your typical fluffy Mormon read, and for that very reason, I found this book to be refreshing! When many LDS people (myself included), wish that polygamy had been a Mormon Myth, I'm glad that Kirby tackled workings of polygamist life even if it is fictionalized. I, like Adri, haven't thought much about life as a sister-wife and hope that I never have too. And if it ever comes down to that, I would much rather be in Colleen's situation rather than Alva's. :)
The thing I love most about this book is the intricacy of human relationships woven throughout. It's amazing to me the power love has to change and heal. We are told time and time again that this one act of human compassion has the ability to alter one's life, but why is it so hard to give? Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, because I can guarantee you that if I had met Fulton, the only thing I would be giving away would have been judgements. However, maybe it is around the weak, broken, and humble that love in its truest form is able to manifest itself. "You don't throw a life away just because it's banged up a little." (Seabiscuit)
I love your thought on Faith vs. Fear Maggie, and have to say I never looked at it that way before, but most certainly have to agree! Fearlessness is another dimesion of faith I have yet to master.
I'm glad you shared this book with me and loved just as much the second time!!!

Shelley Reid said...

I really enjoyed reading this book, I could not put it down! I think that it had a fun story and a good message. I think that most of us can probably do better at reaching out to those who are different than us and loving people even with their faults. Most of the time when I have a hard time reaching out it because of my own fears.

I like how the book described the people were so afraid of Fulton just because of what they had heard about him from others. Those who took the chance to try and get to know him like the Bishop and Rose learned not to be afraid of him and were able to help him change and overcome his faults.

One thing that bothered me was the reason that the Bishop (can’t remember his name right now) married Alva before Colleen. I was waiting for the explanation but when I got it I thought it was kind of weak. Maybe I missed something, but why couldn’t he just have married Colleen first, then Alva? She still would have had a husband?

Angie said...

I liked this a lot more than I expected. It was funny and easy to read. I thought the author did a great job of portraying a ten-year-old girl and how she would percieve the action around her. Polygamy is a very sore point for me and I have to say that while I appreciated the view into this life, it reiterated some of my issues. I had a thought about the nudity- it didn't really bother me but it seemed more like something boys would do than girls. It seems like boys are much more comfortable with and often prefer nudity. I know lots of pre-teen boys who swim naked but not many girls. Maybe because the author was a man? Also I thought he really pushed the light/dark imagery. Overall I really enjoyed it- it was fun and exciting and the authors voice was different than what I have been reading lately and refreshing. Thanks!

Fay said...

I loved this book. I kept being amazed that the author was a man because he seemed to be able to be inside of the head of a 10 year old girl pretty well! I guess I liked the irreverance of his writing style and the story carried itself so well. I too struggle with the thoughts of polygamy. I would definitely rather be Colleen than Alva and I'm also disturbed that since he loved her first he didn't marry her first. Thanks for the recommendation of this book!

Kami said...

Maggie,

Your post was so well written! Thank you for choosing a great book. I read it early in the month, so your descriptive post was a good review for me.

I really enjoyed the story. It wasn't really a "Mormon book." Just a book about Mormons. But, I was worried as I read it that it would give non-Mormons the wrong impression of our religion. Hopefully people realize it was set long in the past and that things have changed. But, still, it painted strange pictures of testimonies, spiritual gifts and such.

Anyway, I loved that it was written from a 10 year old girl's perspective. Kids see things so differently than adults. I loved Rose's attitude and detemination to gain the friendship of a man who everyone else feared and despised. That definitely took courage...maybe the kind that comes from being too young to know better!

Good choice--glad I read it!