I’ve chosen to highlight the American author, Laura Ingalls Wilder. My mother read the series many times to us growing up and it is also the source from which I was named. Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote a series of books known collectively as the Little House series. The series begins when Laura was a child and follows her through her life as a young adult. It is based on memories of Laura's childhood in the Midwest region of the United States during the late 19th century. The books are beautifully written with many long descriptions about how things were made and done by hand during those times. The Ingalls family had a loving relationship and survived many hardships of drought, near poverty, moving again and again, and sickness. Laura sees the world as a beautiful place and takes the reader through many lessons learned throughout her childhood and the adventures of life on the frontier. I loved these books as a child and have started reading them to my children. The books were also adapted into a long running, popular American television series, that follows the books very little, if I may say so. The Laura Ingalls Wilder series is considered classics of American children’s literature.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love these books! I must have read them 5 times each when I was growing up and I really need to read them again.
I love these books, they bring back such fond memories! I wish that I could get my daughter interested, but I have had a hard time even getting her to read...I always wanted readers. My boys like to read, but not what I want to read! :) Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the Little House books. Maybe I'll read them again!
Laura Ingalls Wilder was my introduction to literature when I was a little girl! I enjoy them even now.
Post a Comment