Saturday, December 29, 2007

Children's Book Pick


One of my favorites to read aloud to older children is Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. Such adventures for Louis the Swan who was born without a voice and consequently, his father steals a trumpet for him since he is a Trumpeter swan. So Louis learns to play the trumpet and travels around the country earning money to pay for the stolen trumpet. The book takes you around the country from Canada to Montana to Boston to Philadelphia. It has humor, romance, danger, and adventure. There are many extension activities to do with this book as well. Learn new vocabulary, map the route of Louis, learn about animal behavior and habitat, compare city life to country life, and more. I would begin reading this book aloud to five, six, and seven year olds and recommend it for older independent readers. I've always loved it.

2 comments:

Monica Sue said...

I love this book. I read it with my 4th graders once.

Kami said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Marisa. I checked this out from the library and am reading it with my five year old now. We'll let you know what we think!