Friday, September 07, 2007

Rachel Naomi Remen

I am embarrassed to say that I have not started this month's book. I want to, it just is not happening! But I found an article on a blog written by the author of the book. It is very interesting and inspiring ...it is about the concepts of helping, fixing and serving, and our motivations and the results. I just thought that it may be interesting to each of you since we are reading her book! http://www.theinterpretersfriend.com/Terpsnet/11.html

1 comment:

Adri said...

Thanks for this article, Andrea. What a wonderful message of service being "from the soul." I've only started the book for this month, so I'm not sure whether Remen is religious or not, but I found it interested that in this article she said, "when we serve we are always serving the same thing. Everyone who has ever served through the history of time serves the same thing. We are servers of the wholeness and mystery in life." I have to agree that we all serve the same thing, but know that He who we serve is not "the mystery of life," but our Savior, who said, "Insasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me (Matthew 25:40)."

Thanks for the inspiration for today. I think Remen is right on in categorizing our attitudes as we try to help and serve as being the most important factor in the outcome of that act. I will now be more aware of my own perception toward those I am trying to serve.