Saturday, September 01, 2007

Movie Review: Stranger Than Fiction

While I haven't been reading a lot this weekend, I did get to see two movies (must be a record for me), and both were book related! Wow! I spent nearly an hour wandering through the local Blockbuster on Friday night looking for something good to watch. We are infrequent movie renters (and even more infrequent movie-goers), so if I'm going to watch something, it's gotta be good. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't heard of anything I was looking at on the movie store shelves. I finally decided on "Stranger Than Fiction" and am not sure what exactly triggered that decision, but I was sick of the Blockbuster employee following me around and asking "You finding everything okay?" so I needed to GET OUT. As I went to the register to pay, I asked the girl behind the counter if she'd seen this move. She said, "yes," but when she didn't offer any more information, I said, "Was it stupid?" She told me she "just didn't get it" and she likes "simple movies." The guy working the next register, however, said, "Do you usually like Will Farrell." I said, "Not really." "Then, you'll like it." Sold!
I give it two thumbs up (mine and Chad's...he liked it too.) I really liked it. I looked it up online and this is a movie that got high critical acclaim, but low viewer ratings. I side with the critics. The plot is basically OCD-tax-man with uneventful life finds himself the main character in the new novel by an author famous for killing off the hero. He must find the author and get her to change the ending to save his life. I actually really appreciated Will Farrell in this movie, I loved Emma Thompson, as always, and Dustin Hoffman, as literature professor, was cracking me up. I loved the "look and feel" of this movie. In the bonus features of the DVD there is a whole discussion of the GUI (graphic user interface) used throughout the movie to portray what is going on in the mind of the main character, Harold Crick. It is one of the most original and fun-to-think-about movies I've seen in a while.

DISCLAIMER: This movie is rated PG-13 and has a few PG-13-ish parts.

No comments: