Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Marriage has Many Pains

but celibacy has no pleasures.

----Dr. Johnson, The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia (1759), ch. 26

Fanny Price in Austen's Mansfield Park revises this statement to complain about the temporary situation of residing with her birth family at Portsmouth. They are loud, disorderly, and generally not respectable. In contrast, the family who raised her at Mansfield Park is wealthy and courteous, but often held her in low esteem (mostly because of the "low" circumstances of her birth). She says, "...that though Mansfield Park might have some pains, Portsmouth could have no pleasures. (364, Penguin Classics Edition, 2003).

Sharing information about the books that I read with others can often be disappointing. For what happens between me and the page is sometimes intimate, sometimes awkward, always enlightening . At times, my recommendations are received with a boring and warm bath of "me toos!" (to borrow a line from a friend). Other times, I get a blank stare or a response like, "That subject is too depressing to read about." To me, the most irritating response is when someone says, "I don't read that kind of book" as if they know what "kind" of book it is without reading it.

However, to take the liberty of revising Dr. Johnson's quote myself I might have to say that, "Though reading might have some pains, not reading has few pleasures."

Dr. Azar Nafisi summarized her beliefs about life and literature as a part of the "This I Believe" series on NPR when she said, "I believe in empathy."

Yes. I believe in empathy too. I think that's why I read. I think that's why I raise children (despite my failings and insufficiencies). I think that's why I go to church. I think that's why I'm here.

Adri asked me to share some thoughts about literature. The intersection of faith and letters is a fascinating topic for me. For an interesting discussion about the value of literature go HERE.

2 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Mara. I always love the perspective you offer and it is almost always different from my own. How can that be when we've spent so many years as friends? I think it can be attributed to your unique way of really seeking empathy for the characters you read about; getting in their minds and hearts and understanding them. Your comment about reading that "kind" of book got me thinking of all the books I've read that were recommended to me by you that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own, including: "Ender's Game," "My Name is Asher Lev," "Reading Lolita in Tehran," and "Daisy Miller." It is definitely a varied list, and I'm sure there are others I'm just not thinking of. Thanks for always inspiring me to think more and dig deeper! Thanks for the post!

Monica Sue said...

Mara, I am in awe at your amazing insights. You possess a great ability to reflect, analyze, connect, and respond to all literature. Thanks for sharing your talents and helping me think beyond my own circumference. I have the desire to be a more widely read person.