Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bookworms Recommendations: Classics

Every now and again I'll post a book genre, and ask for your suggestions on books you've loved of this type. Today...the classic...

What is your all-time favorite classic novel...the book you were assigned in High School English, maybe you dreaded the idea of reading it, but it made an impact on your life? Why would you recommend it to others?

7 comments:

Linn said...

I have many, but one of my favorites, and one that is on my mind because I recently saw the movie (2002) is "The Count of Monte Cristo." It is just extremely well-written and such a pleasure to read. This has been a favorite of mine for many years. If you haven't read it, pick it up!

Adri said...

Some of my favorite "classics" from High School English:
The Grapes of Wrath
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
My Antonia

My list of classics I still want to read is even longer....so we need more recommendations!!! Post yours today!

Reluctant Nomad said...

Portrait of a Lady, Henry James (my favorite heroine of all time)

The Awakening, Kate Chopin (not my favorite heroine, but a book I cannot stop thinking about)

Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wuthering Heights, Bronte

(OF COURSE!) Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Daisy Miller, Henry James
Washington Square, Henry James

I heart Henry James. Never read him? Start with Daisy Miller and see what you think.

Marisa said...

A classic I'm so glad I read and left me thinking was Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Truly a classic in American literature.

Adri said...

Mara...I have never read Henry James, but now have a new goal for myself. Thanks for the suggestions!

Natalie Ball said...

Classics that still make me think include . . . .

The Scarlet Letter
Les Miserables (the non-abridged)
Count of Monte Cristo
To Kill a Mockingbird


I also love anything by Mark Twain and Louisa May Alcott.

Reluctant Nomad said...

Ade--I would definitely start with Daisy Miller, although it's not my favorite. Portrait of a Lady is exquisite...