Monday, July 23, 2007

Book Review: "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

I'm sort of cheating by posting a book review written by someone else. My other confession: I haven't yet read the book. But, I'm curious about whether any of you have. My husband's friend, Darren Reid, is the author of the review (I think he could do this for a living!) Here's the link: http://dmansmusic.googlepages.com/books

4 comments:

Adri said...

This review is very interesting...and full of big words. I don't know if I'm smart enough to understand everything Darren was saying, but it does sound like an interesting book. And, I've heard of Cormac McCarthy's book "All the Pretty Horses." I'll have to try reading something written by him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Adri said...

Another side note....this was recently an Oprah book and Oprah got an exclusive with Cormac McCarthy (I guess he rarely does interviews). You can check out the comments made by Oprah Book Group readers at http://boards.oprah.com/WebX/.f14eacd!DYNID=3DXO14ACQSPW5LARAZ3RVQQ

You can also read Oprah's interview with McCarthy, but you have to register on her site to get to it. Just type "Cormac McCarthy" in the "search" box at the top of oprah.com to find it.

Sounds like an interesting book...

Shelley Reid said...

Kami sent me the link to this site and I am already excited to do some more reading! Lately it seems like all I have been reading is Parents magazine! I definitely need some new material.
Darren (who wrote the review of The Road) is my husband and I don't usually take his suggestions on what to read. I did however read "The Road." I will say that it was one of the most powerful books I have read in a very long time (maybe the most powerful book ever.) This is partly because one of the major themes is the relationship between a parent and his child. I made the mistake of reading this book when I was 9 months pregnant and emotional to begin with. After I was done reading it I couldn't even talk to my husband about it because I would burst into tears when I even thought about it. This book just had such an enormous emotional impact on me. I read it in a few days and I thought about it constantly for a week. I loved it.
I hesitate to recommend it to others because there are some very disturbing and violent scenes. But if you can stomach it, it is worth your while.

Adri said...

Thanks for the comment, Shelley, and welcome to Bookworms! I hope you enjoy the books and know your comments, recommendations and book reviews are very welcome!