I hope everyone enjoyed reading “The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less” by Terry Ryan. I always like to read a book based on a true story. I found this one pretty entertaining and am planning to rent the movie [starring Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson] soon.
Before I read this book, I had no knowledge of the “contest era” of the 1950s and 60s. Companies sponsored contests both “to acquire new advertising ideas from the public and to sell more products.” Am I the only one in the group who didn’t know what a big deal this was—that there were entire magazines written and clubs formed around “contesting?” I much prefer this idea of a contest based on talent and creativity over the winner-drawn-at-random sweepstakes we see nowadays.
It’s a shame the contest trend died out….but maybe it’s coming back (in a different sort of way.) Last month’s Reader’s Digest Magazine had an article about extreme money-making contest opportunities available today. The X Prize Foundation is offering $10 million for “a great genome-sequencing idea.” Or, you could win the $4 million Methuselah Mouse Prize for extending a mouse’s life span. The James Randi Educational Foundation in Florida will give $1 million to anyone who can prove they have “psychic, supernatural or paranormal ability.” I don’t think I know anyone who could win those contests. But, I’m sure my mom would have had a chance in the old jingle-writing contests with her creative ability with words!
Please respond do any or all of the following questions, adding any other comments you want to make about the book:
1-What was your favorite part of “The Prizewinner…” book?
2- Terry Ryan stated in an interview that she believed the most important lesson she learned from her mother was this: “That the greatest poverty is poverty of the mind. That money doesn't necessarily buy a rich life. She told us that having a winning spirit is both essential to winning and more important than winning. A winning attitude will outlast any prize you win, no matter how valuable.” What other enduring lessons do you think the Ryan children learned from their mother?
3- Do you think Evelyn Ryan foolishly put her children, her home and her security at risk by relying on winning contests to earn money rather than getting a job with a steady income?
4-How do you think “contesting” relates to what modern-day mothers do to work through life’s struggles?
5-Compose a fourth line for this jingle (or write a whole new one of your own) about how we “bookworms” love to read. No prize will be awarded to the winner….just the glory of writing the best line!
Bookworms are a curious sort
Found crawling through books day or night
Munching on pages and crunching up words
_______________________________!
My responses:
#1 - I enjoyed reading about the challenges of raising ten children (knowing that life would put me in the insane asylum!) Imagine the scenarios: nine children sleeping in one bedroom, hiding snacks away in the clothes dryer, and five trips to the emergency room within six hours! It’s a wonder children can turn out well growing up in an environment where they never had enough food, clothes, attention or privacy!
#2 - I love the quote on page 113 where, after Evelyn rejects a suggestion to take in laundry rather than enter contests to support her family and Terry remembers, “At that moment we knew that as long as we used our brains, we were not victims. By striking out to write our own ticket, we would grow up to be like our mother, winners.”
I’m sure Evelyn Ryan’s example of optimism also greatly affected her children. Terry compares her to a baseball player diving to catch a ball—one miss (contest not won) didn’t keep her from going for the next one.
I'm curious to see what you have to say about #3 and #4.
#5 - Not a hint of clean laundry in sight!
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you, Kami, for introducing me to this book. Do I say that every month??? I really mean it. So much to read, so little time.....
I adored this book, and after I finished it, I rented the movie. It was great too (of course, lots was left out). Even my husband enjoyed watching the show with me and it was done in such a cute 1950s sort of way. When you are finished reading, go pick it up!
#1 My favorite part of the book was reading about Evelyn's positive responses to all the daily mishaps of life with 10 children. She had such poise and such a winning spirit. I had to cry when little Davey picked all the tulip blossoms in the neighborhood for his mother, but caused her to miss her Affidaisies meeting. She just gave him a hug, took his hand, and said, "Let's go make amends." Her actions were definitely the teacher for her children. I really admire this woman.
#2 Ditto to Kami's answer!
#3 I don't think Evelyn foolishly put anyone at risk because in her circumstances, she really couldn't have gone out to get a job. For one, she had way too much to do at home. Secondly, women didn't really have many career options in that era, especially once they had children. I think she was using her talents to the best of her ability at home: writing poems for newspapers, etc. The contesting was her "outlet" and it also happened to be her family's salvation. I think she was brilliant!
#4 I think contesting, for Evelyn, was her "me time." All mothers have the need to feel like our minds are not turning to MUSH while we do all the (sometimes) mindless tasks of homemaking. Really there isn't much enlightenment coming from effortlessly cleaning your 50th dirty diaper of the day. Everyone needs a way to exercise her brain now and again. For a word-lover like Evelyn, making up jingles and poems fit her perfectly. Mothers I know do a variety of "me time" things: join a book group, go to a play, practice yoga, do crosswords, call a friend, try new recipes, garden, scrapbook, etc.
Also, the way Evelyn related to her Affidaisies group was so incredibly female. Don't we all need someone who shares our interests to just "be" with?
#5 Up late, reading on, "Thanks" night light!
FAY said....
I absolutely loved this book. Thanks, Kam for choosing it! I grew up in the 50's and 60's and many details from the book were familiar to me. I also had a clever mother who did enter a few contests but has always used her way with words to entertain and bless other's lives! I got my love of rhyme from her example. The movie, as mentioned, was great too! I do think in the movie I felt more compassion for the husband than in the real story. I guess I've always liked Woody Harrelson! A woman in the 50's had fewer options that we do now. I think that Evalyn was a genius in using her available resources to make a living for her family. I remember a black garbage bag full of fabric scraps that were transformed into our two year gift resource bag when we were poor and at graduate school. We each have different talents and can use them effectively when necessity is the mother of invention! I loved Evalyn's positive attitude through all the chaos. Sometimes I wish I could turn back the clock and handle the crazy moments in my family better! I, like Evalyn, was however very resourceful. I remember mending things over and over (like the girdle), making useful things from other things (like children's clothes) and learning to barter even at the grocery store for the best price or simply do without. I was willing to take in ironing and mending, unlike Evalyn, because I only had two children at the time to do laundry for! I feel like Terry Ryan that, even still, my mother is my hero. I thought of her so many times during the reading of this book and passed it on to her when I finished!
#5A New book? Where's my glasses? All right!
#5B Digesting great words feels...all right!
#5C These kind of "worms" cause no fright!
I know that I am very late in responding. Sometimes I forget that I haven't responded because I feel like I have.
Anyway-loved this book!! I think I say that every time but you are all so good at recommending such great books. I love what has already been said.
2- I found it very interesting when the children found out after her death of their "unconventional" marriage. I think it gave them an even greater appreciation for their mother. She never used it as an excuse for her situation or complained about it. It gives you strength to follow yoru decisions and make the best of every situation you are in.
4-Now there are a lot of opportunities for women to stay at home and bring in a little extra income in they need to or would like to...Pampered Chef, Avon, Jewelry, Scrapbooking reps, etc. As Adri mentioned there are also a lot of other ways for women to have a break and "contest".
I found this book so fun to read and Evelyn was so inspiring to make the most of every situation and keep your cool at the same time. I think it's wonderful that her daughter doesn't remember (or atleast mention) her mother ever losing her cool. It would be interesting to hear the story from Evelyn herself. I was often curious about what she was thinking while certain parts of the book played out. She certainly handled things well.
Post a Comment