This book was recommended to me and I didn't know much about it, other than it was really good and about a small southern town.
I began to read it and was intrigued by the mix of strong characters; Miss Love, Grandpa, and Will Tweedy, Aunt Loma, Lightfoot, etc. I don't know if this has been produced into a movie, but it sure would make a great one.
Here are just a couple of thoughts for discussion or you can present your own.
1) How did you perceive Miss Love and her motives for marrying Mr. Blakeslee? Did you feel she deserved the treatment from the famly and town that she received?
2) What did you think of Grandpa's sermons and views of religion? Were his ideas that drastic?
3) What parallels did you see between Grandpa's and Will Tweedy's lives?
My thoughts turn mostly to the third question. I loved the relationship between Will Tweedy and his Grandpa. It seemed that they admired each other in a special way. I liked how the author would let us know what was happening through the conversations with Miss Love, or when Will Tweedy would over hear or see what was occuring between Miss Love and his Grandpa.
I felt as if Will Tweedy was very much like his grandfather, in the fact that he has a secret desire for Lightfoot, yet he knew it wasn't acceptable. I was hoping throughout the book that since his Grandpa married an outcast and helped the town adjust to that idea, then maybe it would be possible for Will Tweedy to associate with Lightfoot. But I was totally thrown for a loop when she said she was marrying the other boy. And that Grandpa helped make it possible!
I loved how the family eventually came together through the tragedies of Campbell's death and then Grandpa's death. In the end, they could see the good heart of Miss Love and Grandpa. I think we as readers, came to understand Grandpa and his religious views through his dying process. He did believe in God and I believe based his life around that knowledge. He was a stubborn man, but always saw good in other people. He wasn't bothered by what others thought. He just lived to what he thought was right and true. As for Miss Love, I think she had a good heart too, and truly wanted to find happiness without hurting anyone else.
I really am only touching base on all my thoughts. There was a lot to take in and I enjoyed reading this humorous and dramatic story, with many underlying issues within the characters. I look forward to reading about your thoughts.
Monica
Monday, January 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thank you, Monica, for suggesting this book. It was a GREAT read and, like you, I loved the character development. I really enjoyed that this book was written from Will Tweedy's perspective and amazed at how "right on" it seemed to me. How can a grown woman writer know what a 14-year-old boy would think? I guess I don't know, either, but it sure seemed believable to me. I also loved the language and dialect she used. It made me feel like I was in Cold Sassy. I've never lived in the deep South, but many things about Cold Sassy and the people there reminded me of life in Kentucky. The South is really a place all its own!
I wanted to touch on question #2: I really enjoyed Grandpa's take on religion. I agree with Miss Love when she said, "Most of us Christians need to go to church, Rucker. By ourselves, we feel uneasy about God, and we're too bashful to pray except when we're sick or scared. We read our Bibles, but we never think things out the way you do." I liked that his views, albeit out of step with the views of the local preachers, were really thought out. His religion was real and practical and honest. I'm not saying I don't believe in organized religion, because I do, but I really appreciated Grandpa's efforts at understanding scripture for himself and not just spouting out what he'd heard in a sermon. I think all of us would be more in tune to truth if we pondered more and thought out things the way Grandpa did.
Lastly, I just want to say that I felt bad for Miss Love throughout the book and just had to cry for her at the end. And, when the book ended I REALLY wanted to know about her baby and her future. Oh well....I think the good ones leave you wanting more, huh? So, I have to give it a thumbs up! Thanks, again, Monica!
---Adri
I didn't read it guys. So sorry...Thanks for the intriguing questions though. Now, where's my library card again? Oh yes. Impounded with a $28 fine for a lost DVD. Maybe next month. Maybe.
I too loved this book. I loved the southern dialect throughout. I tried to read a portion out loud to my husband and it was quite humorous to listen to me. I don't think my husband understood a word I said.
I had to admire Grandpa for questioning some of the social and religious traditions of the time and breaking away in order to be true to what he thought was good. I admired his courage and the courage of Miss Love in a town where it seemed no matter what they did it was criticized. I was fascinated by all the social rules that had to be followed or people really made you suffer. It made me wonder what crazy things I do just to be accepted socially.
In response to question #2, I was intrigued by Grandpa's discussion about what we should be asking God for when he quotes the scripture "Ask and ye shall receive." I've wondered at times if I'm praying for the wrong thing. Grandpa said, "Jesus meant us to ast God to hep us stand the pain, not beg Him to take the pain away. We can ast for comfort and hope and patience and courage, and to be gracious when things ain't goin' our way, and we'll git what we ast for." I think more often I ask God to "take the pain away" rather that asking for strength to endure.
Lastly, I thought it ended too abruptly. I wanted to see how the relationship between Miss Love, Aunt Loma, and Mary Willis changed after Grandpa's passing. And of course, what about the baby? I really enjoyed the book. Thanks, Monica.
I, too, loved this book! I am a little late in finishing, but definitely wanted to comment. Like everyone else, I was very impressed with the writing in this book. I felt like I knew each of these characters as the book progressed and like everyone else, felt disappointed when it was over. Where is the sequel? :)
I wanted to answer question #1. In the beginning, I went back and forth trying to determine Miss Love's motives for marrying Grandpa. At first I felt sorry for her, than I would wonder if she was being too harsh in her reactions and treatment of the town. After getting further into the book and understanding more of her situation, I think I felt she truly had sincere motives. I think that initally, she was anxious to have a home and a piano, but I think maybe deep down, she wondered if there was someone who could truly love her for who she was--baggage and all. Even though I wanted to find out what happened to Miss Love and the baby, I at least feel grateful the author let us know that she found true love before Grandpa passed away. I know, I know, I still prefer Cinderella endings. Thanks Monica--a great book!
I finally finished Cold Sassy Tree (just six weeks late!)
1) The author made Mr. Blakeslee’s and Miss Love’s marriage seem so suspicious that I kept thinking there would be some big scandal revealed! I could feel for them, though, and felt bad they were so looked down upon by the town. But, at times, it seemed like Miss Love was so “over the top” that she was bringing it upon herself! As time passed and I got to know her better, I could tell her intentions were pure and really started to like her.
2) I enjoyed hearing Grandpa’s beliefs and sermons. He was definitely sure of himself and wasn’t afraid to say things just how he believed them. I especially love the “Ask and ye shall receive” sermon he gave toward the end on his death bed with Will listening from the hallway. (Refer to Laura’s quote since I have already returned my copy of the book) I think I agreed with many things that Grandpa “preached.”
This was an entertaining novel to read. I got so wrapped up in the town and its happenings, that the ending seemed too abrupt. I wanted it to keep on going so I could see how things turned out with the new baby and such.
One part I loved in the book was when Grandpa made the rose “blankets” for Mattie Lou’s funeral. They sounded so amazingly beautiful to me! What a labor of love for his wife.
Thanks for recommending the book, Monica!
And to Linn—there IS a sequel! Apparently, Olive Ann Burns was working on the sequel for several years, but then got very sick and passed away before she could finish it. But, she told a friend just before she died to go ahead and publish it as a small book. It’s called “Leaving Cold Sassy.” We just might have to check it out! As for a movie...does anyone know if it’s been made into one?
Post a Comment