Sunday, January 29, 2006

Pictures of Hollis Woods-Discussion

Bookworms Book Group

Pictures of Hollis Woods

Hollis, like most people with a tough exterior, is emotionally vulnerable. I suspect like most foster children, she has learned to protect herself physically and emotionally. Has anyone in the group had experiences with children in the foster care system? I believe it takes a very special person to reach out and accept these children. Josie was a good example of that. She didn't take herself or life too seriously (shown by her sense of humor and allowing Hollis to skip school) and Hollis could feel safe with her.

I found Hollis' character amusing, not to mention witty, when she was asked questions by "the mustard lady."
"How was school?"
"Burned down."
"What did you have for lunch?"
"Horse meat."
"How's Mrs. Cahill?"
"Who?"
"What are you drawing?"
"Nudies."

I liked the device used by the author to give information on Hollis' life with the Regan family. It was like a literary puzzle -- little glimpses into her time with them and how she ended up with Josie. It certainly left me wondering, if the family was so great, why did she have to leave and what happened to Steven on the mountain driving the truck, etc.

Two things I didn't agree with how the author portrayed them in the book:
1. For the first half of the book, Josie seemed like a competent, albeit a little forgetful, caregiver. It seemed as though she was the adult between the two of them. As soon as Hollis decided to leave for the mountain house, Josie all of a sudden became helpless with dementia and Hollis had to be the adult. It was too sudden for me to be believable.

2. Steven's character always seemed older to me because of his dialogue. I kept forgetting he was only twelve. Maybe I was just not paying attention that closely. Especially at the end when she discovers Steven has been helping out at the mountain house and he takes her to the phone to call Beatrice. He sure had a lot of insight and wisdom regarding father and son relationships. More than I think most 12 or 13 year olds have -- certainly more than I had when I was 13.

The most heartwarming part of the book, I thought, was how the Regan family and especially Josie were so supportive and encouraging of Hollis' drawing talent. They really saw things in her she couldn't see about herself. We all need someone telling us we are special and have talents and gifts to contribute.

I think it would be interesting to hear about any experiences you have had with foster children. They have a difficult lot to be sure and those who take them into their homes and hearts are angels on earth.

Thanks for responding. Hope you enjoyed the book and I look forward to next month's selection.
Marisa

6 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

I wanted to comment on #1

The suddenness of Josie's change is not all that uncommon in patients with Dimentia/Alzheimers. One with these diseases thrives on routine. It is their very routine that reminds them that they are in control. Without the routine, they lose control because they get confused. So, a change in residence would definitely put one with this condition in a "tail spin" of sorts. I have also found that to a certain extent, when routine is there, they can "fake" how bad the disease is by hiding the inner confusion with outer order. My experience with this is in dealing with a grandparent with Alzheimer's disease. Matthew and I have been the only family close during the onset of the disease and the continued decline of his grandmother. She has moments of lucidity (which are now fading quickly) where she acts "like old times" but on the next visit, she won't recognize us. It's quite a drastic pendulum of self-awareness. Changing back to the novel, in my opinion, Josie was "faking" her lucidity while at her home surrounded by her routine and by support from Beatrice, (notice how heavily she relies on her for her memory of "normal" life). I actually was somewhat disturbed by Beatrice's physical abandonement. I know she wanted to fulfill a dream and Josie wanted her to be able to do so, but having seen how dependent an Alzheimer's patient is on her caregiver for their interpretation of the reality that seem confusing to the patient, it seems irresponsible. I know I shouldn't "judge" characters in books. I also know that it is very likely that Beatrice did not fully understand how important she was to Josie (especially without any education on the disease, medical advice, etc...), but I still feel a bit of angst towards her. Marisa, I can understand completely why this sudden change might be surprising to some readers, however, after having dealt with this disease, I assure you the author was not "that" far off base.

I agree with comment #2 about Steven's somewhat inexplicable "adult" knowledge. I actually forgot that he was so young until you posted your commentary.

Adri said...

Hi all,

It is so interesting because the day I went to the library to pick up this book there was a special display at the library----about children needing foster homes/adoption! A local photographer had taking pictures of highlighted children (which, by the way, were gorgeously done) and each child had a large board (maybe 6'tall) with a collage of photos and a description of themselves. These displays were all over the library and I was so touched as I looked at these children and longed for their happiness. Then, I went home with my book to find it all about Hollis----a product of the foster care system. Just an irony I thought I'd share.

I, like Marisa, liked the way the author flipped back and forth between the "Josie" world and life with the Regans. I think it was a good introduction for a young reader to literature that doesn't necessarily lay out characters then plot in a nice, orderly fashion. It created enough suspense to keep you interested, but was ordered enough to avoid confusion.

Thanks, Marisa!

Linn said...

Though not quite as closely as Mara, I also have dealt with two different grandparents with Alzheimer’s and it is true what she said about routine. It is huge. Each time the routine changes at all, the worse the dementia becomes. It is a truly hard thing to watch. I think because of what I have already gone through and what my husband’s family is currently going through, that made that particular part of the book hard for me to read. I didn't realize until it was over, but I felt so sad for Josie and thought about her for a long time after I had finished.

I also had the same feelings toward Beatrice that Mara did. I felt silly being so frustrated with a character in a book and then realized that my frustration stemmed from the "abandonment" of my grandfather's wife at the beginning of his Alzheimer’s. She dropped him off at my parent’s home (hundreds of miles away from his own home and those he knew) and left. I shouldn’t really judge her though as it is something I cannot imagine going through with a spouse. My grandpa had a real struggle after that. I can definitely see why Josie could be portrayed the way the author chose.

Nonetheless, I did like this book. The style was a bit different than I like, but did not confuse me (which is unusual these days). It mostly made me feel for those children going through the foster system--especially the older ones who have already dealt with so much. Hollis made all of that a little more real to me.

Good pick--I enjoyed reading it. Thanks Marisa!

Reluctant Nomad said...

Monica,
I got the impression that their summer house was not that far away. At one point, Hollis mentions that it is over the hill or something similar to that. So, I assumed (maybe wrongly) that their summer house was in the mountains and their winter home was in the valley of the same area. I am also assuming he got the snowmobile from their winter house. I know that growing up at the foot of the mountains, we could often (in heavy snows) ride a snowmobile from our home to the mountain very easily. Anyway, this is not official scholarship or anything. Just my thoughts as I read the book.

Jen Matthews said...

Thanks for a great read. I don't have anything new to add. I did feel bad that she left such a wonderful home even after he came to the agency and begged her to stay. I was glad to have a happy story book ending because my heart goes out to children in that situation. I had forgotten that Steven was so young. Although, I remember being 12 and snowmobiling with 2 friends for hours after school without any supervision all over in the fields (that are now houses) west of the Kaysville South Stake Center. So, especially for younger people,this must be something exciting to read-a 12 year old who saves the day.

I have never worked closely with foster care children but my brother worked for the DCFS, removing children from abused situations (I also have a friend that does that). He now works for Utah Foster Care foundation selecting and training foster families. So, I hear a lot about the political frustrations that they both have. I would have to agree with what has been said about love. I have heard some amazing and tragic stories. I admire the parents that take these children into their homes and try to give them a new start.....anyway-thanks for a good pick!!

Kami said...

I am slow to respond, but figure I better since I DID actually finish this book on time!

I thought it was a good, easy read. I agree that some parts were confusing. It mostly came together at the end and then was over so fast!

I liked how the story was told through the images in Hollis' drawings. Although, I had a hard time imagining that a young artist could include so much detail and emotion in her drawings.

I was worried that the book wouldn't have the predictable, happy ending and was glad when it did. Hollis Woods was a lucky girl to have such a loving family. I don't think that foster care situations turn out that well every day.

Thanks! Kami