Saturday, February 25, 2006

Thought questions-No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Thought questions for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

What is surprising about the nature of the cases Mma Ramotswe is hired to solve? By what means does Alexander McCall Smith sustain the reader's interest, in the absence of the kind of tension, violence, and suspense that drive most mysteries?

Mma Ramotswe's first client, Happy Bapetsi, is worried that the man who claims to be her father is a fraud taking advantage of her generosity. "All he does," she says, "is sit in his chair outside the front door and tell me what to do for him next." To which Mma Ramotswe replies, "Many men are like that" [p. 10]. What is Mma Ramotswe's view of men generally? How do men behave in the novel?

Mma Ramotswe purchases a manual on how to be a detective. It advises one to pay attention to hunches. "Hunches are another form of knowledge" [p. 79]. How does intuition help Mma Ramotswe solve her cases? How does intuition help you?



Mma Ramotswe imagines retiring back in Mochudi, buying some land with her cousins, growing melons, and living life in such a way that "every morning she could sit in front of her house and sniff at the wood-smoke and look forward to spending the day talking with her friends. How sorry she felt for white people, who couldn't do any of this, and who were always dashing around and worrying themselves over things that were going to happen anyway. What use was it having all that money if you could never sit still or just watch your cattle eating grass? None, in her view; none at all" [p. 162]. Is Mma Ramotswe's critique of white people on the mark or is she stereotyping? What makes her sense of what is important, and what brings happiness, so refreshing? What other differences between black and white cultures does the novel make apparent?



Alexander McCall Smith's Precious Ramotswe books have been praised for their combination of apparent simplicity with a high degree of sophistication. In what ways does in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency have the appeal of simple storytelling? In what ways is it sophisticated? What does it suggest about the larger issues of how to live one's life, how to behave in society, how to be happy?

4 comments:

Adri said...

This was a fun, fun book! I found myself laughing out loud and sincerely interested in Mma Ramotswe's cases and clients. I appreciate the question about "sustaining interest" in ways atypical to mysteries. I found myself wondering that exact thing. I think it has to do with emotion...the reader is emotionally attached to Mma Ramotswe, the clients, the curiosity of the problems and the simplicity and level-headedness of the detective, all of which help keep suspense and interest.

Mma Ramotswe's overall view of men was on the negative side, however, she didn't pile all males together and hate them all, because she greatly admired her father, the mechanic, the doctor, etc. I think in her mind, men had to earn her trust and respect...like guilty 'til proven innocent instead of the other way around. Her attitude likely stems from her bad marriage, but I think it also has to do a lot with African culture (correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never been there!). She was a "modern" woman, in a lot of ways, battling for womens' freedoms (from oppression and stereotypes more than from laws) in a small place clinging to its past and traditions. Although she cherished her country and its history and culture, I think she was also willing to crusade for women and help alleviate some of the pent up emotions they had had for centuries: she faced the world of men straight on. This is evidenced in her career choice, her desire to stay single (until the end of the book, at least) and her slight jabs at the male gender throughout the book.

I'll skip to the last question:
I really appreciated the way Alexander McCall Smith blended simplicity and sophistication in this book. I think that is the mark of a great storyteller: one who can keep you interested with a great story without complicating things to the extent that you lose the reader and the message. All the cases were pretty straight forward and each case was presented and solved without a lot of confusing overlap. Yet, each case had its own unique twist; something unexpected happened. That is the sophistication. Smith presented simple problems with simple solutions, yet the solution wasn't readily apparent. Mma Ramotswe was the tool that lead the reader to the conclusions. It was all around fun to read. I'll definitely pick up more in this series.

My one lingering question: Did the young Indian girl really continue dating "Jack" for two years and her father never figured out he really was a real person? Mma Ramotswe didn't seem disturbed that she'd been duped by the girl. Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks, Gaye! I really enjoyed it!

Kami said...

I enjoyed reading this book. I was wondering the same thing--why did this book keep calling me back? It was a straight-forward, rather simple book, but I, too, got attached.

I love how Mma Ramotswe was so self-confident. She did have her doubts occasionally about whether her business was going to succeed, but she was very brave. I love how she just jumped right into a case, arriving "on site" without really having a plan or strategy. She was so quick and witty with her comments and was always able to get things to go her way.

I felt like Mma Ramostwe was stereotyping "white people" a little, assuming that we don't enjoy relaxing and the simple things in life. There are definitely people within the culture who don't have a sense of what is important in life. I think modernization and advances in technology make it more difficult to focus on what brings true happiness. But, I believe that those who are careful can have the same refreshing outlook Mma Ramostwe had.

Adri, I had the same question about "Jack." So was the girl was lying to Mma Ramotswe? She was pretty quick on her feet, too, I guess. But, that means that was an unsuccessful case. I was suprised it didn't resolve that more. Maybe it was supposed to be a mystery for the reader?

What a great ending when the little boy was reunited with his father!

And, concluding with the proposal of marriage makes me want to go out and get the next book in the series! Have you read them all, Gaye? Thanks for introducing us to this good book!

Jen Matthews said...

Thanks for such a fun book, Gaye! I couldn't put it down and found it interesting that you chose that question. I think that even though it was so simple there was always some leading information and then a twist at the end of every case. I really liked her simplicity and cleaverness.

I tend to agree with her stereotype of white people.....I guess mostly from experience of family and friends. I do think that society is speeding up and with all the advances in technology we seem to only go faster and faster trying to accomplish more. It's easy to get caught up in it all. We need a constant reminder at our house to slow down and enjoy the moment.

I thought the cases were fun and interesting and I liked her simple apprach to solving them. I really liked the book and want to read the rest of the series now.

About "Jack," after I read it I thought maybe it was a guy she had a crush on and kind of created a relationship with that she eventually hooked up with. I thought there had to be some catch because of how she reacted when she found them together after so long.....maybe

Anyway-thanks again for a great pic!

Fay said...

I loved this book when I listened to it on tape about two years ago. The reader was delightful and really brought the stories to life. I loved how I could put it down after each case and pick it right back up again. I've forgotten the details but not the feel of admiration for Mme Ramotswe. I'd work for her detective agency just to have her as a mentor! Thanks for the pic, Gaye