Monday, September 28, 2009

October's Book: Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers, by Ralph Moody

I found this title on a list of suggested reading lately and I am excited to read it. My apologies to those who have already read it; hopefully you'll enjoy it a second time. Little Britches is an autobiographical work about a boy who moves with his family from the East to scrape together a living on a ranch in Colorado. It is a classic for younger readers, with lots of good character-building stories. I have found lots of great heroines in literature to share with my daughters and I'm looking forward to getting to know a new hero to share with my sons. After you read it, I would love to know what lessons you find inside that you can use to teach children.

5 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks, Em! This sounds great!

Linn said...

My dad read this to us several times when I was young. He would always cry at the end (my dad is not an emotional man) and would have to stop over and over to compose himself. For some reason, I have not read it since then. Thanks for the chance to 'remember' this book Em!

Kami said...

Is Little Britches a series? I reserved "Father and I Were Ranchers". Is that the right one?

Adri said...

Yes, Emily, can you clarify which one? I saw "Father and I Were Ranchers" and "Man of the Family", but didn't see just a plain "Little Britches"

Em said...

Thank you - let's go with Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers