
I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did. It was very captivating for me. I thought it was well written considering it was the author's first novel. It made me think a lot about "religion" and it's purposes. Think about the following questions and let me know what your thoughts are.
1. How was Sarah changed by living with her cousin Margaret? How was she changed by returning to her family?
2. What was it about Martha's character that seemed to antagonize so many neighbors?
3. What do you think was the most compelling reason that Martha was eventually brought to trial?
4. Discuss the various factors that lead to the witch hysteria.
5. Why did Martha choose to take a stand of innocence knowing that a refused confession meant death?
6. How has reading the book changed your opinions about the men and women hanged as witches?
6 comments:
I loved this book! I was amazed at all of the tiny events that combined to create the witch hunt: Indian raids, disease, gossip, neighbor disputes, religious fanaticism, and group hysteria. I gained a greater understanding of the culture and beliefs of the people during this time period and finally understand how the tragic events came about.
I was amazed at the horrible conditions of the Salem jail and couldn't believe how long the people had to suffer there without trials. Our judiciary system has certainly come a long way!
I admired Martha's courage and determination to proclaim her innocence. It seemed much easier to confess to the crazy witchcraft charges. I kept wondering what life was like in Salem area after the Witch Hunt. Did the victim's families take revenge on the accusers? What happened to the girls who pretended to be possessed? How could they live peacefully after putting to death so many of their friends and neighbors? Does the animosity continue today? I wish I had visited Salem when I was in Boston 10 years ago!
Thanks for the great read, Laura!
When Sarah went to live with Margaret’s family her eyes were opened to what a different family lived like. I think most of us, expecially when we are children, don’t realize how different other families home lives are. I think that many of us, when we get married realize this very soon. Different families often express their love in different ways. Although Margaret’s family was much more warm and openly loving, I think that Sarah realized in the end how much her own mother loved her.
Martha refused to abide by the silly superstitions that many of her neighbors held so dear. I think that she was also protective of her family and her husband and people misread her as being secretive.
I didn’t know much about the Salem Witch trials, and I enjoyed learning about them. I was just amazed that the accusers would make up such things about people they didn’t even really know. I just can’t wrap my mind around it. I understand that people were frightened and there were many things they didn’t understand like disease. I think that they wanted to place the blame on someone or something.
I enjoyed reading this book although it was heart-wrenching. I learned much and couldn’t put it down. Thanks for the pick!
I just finished this (I know, I'm slow), and have to say that although it is a story so heartbreaking, this book is BEAUTIFULLY written. I loved the author's use of metaphor, Sarah's "voice" and the way this subject was really brought to life.
The thing that amazed me the most, I think, is that so many people were so afraid of the judges that the made up such fanatical stories to save themselves.
Laura...in your research did you ever discover what parts were true? Were the names of those accused and condemned accurate? Was Thomas Carrier really a Welsh warrior with the past it talks about in the book? I'm just so interested to know how much of this is true.
Thank you for introducing me to this book Laura.
Like Shelley, I didn't know much about the Salem witch trials. I learned about it briefly in History class but nothing too in depth. One thing I'd like to know more of is how the truth was exposed and what became of the girls who were "possessed"?
I think the thing I took from this book was how sad it was that neighbors and friends joined with each other in condemning those in their community who were a little "different". With conformity being the order of the day, those who didn't fit the "mold" were scrutinized, and then the minute they did or said something strange they were immediately carted off to jail. It was an easy way to get rid of the people you didn't like.
I was also reminded of the harm I can inflict on others when I gossip. Of course the Salem witch trials are an example of an extreme case, but nonetheless, it's not hard for gossip to get out of control.
Thanks for a great read...I hope to find more like it!
Wow!! Not much more to add than what has already been said. I did read a little about the witch trials after finishing the book. Martha really was one of the women hung for being a witch. She was accused because she thought the hysteria was ridiculous and the girls were faking. Her husband was accused and because he wouldn't plead anything he was crushed to death a few days before his wife was hung. I have a terrible memory (even when I've just read something) so correct me if I'm wrong anyone-from what I remember only one of the girls actually came forth and apologized about the whole ordeal and said they were tricked or something by Satan. I believed the families were given a certain amount of money to split between them. I would love to find out more about the accusers later in life...what a horrible thing to carry around for your entire life.
I loved the book. I loved the insight about the witch trials and all the hysteria. The whole religious aspect added such an interesting perspective. It kind of made me think about what "hysteria" is created in our own neighborhoods under the name of religion. It makes me wonder how our current society will be seen in hundreds of years.....thanks for great read!
I finished another book!! And I loved it. I really liked how the relationships within Sarah's family were explored and developed. It made me think a lot about daughters and mothers and how sometimes it's hard for a child to understand why a parent does something, but learns later that it was done out of love.
One of my favorite quotes in the book was "This book is our history and a family's history lasts only as long as there is someone left to tell it." I think that for as unfeeling as Sarah had always thought her mother was, that this was a such a cry out to be loved and remembered beyond the grave.
I loved how Martha felt so strongly that she must stand up for her beliefs, even if that meant her death, and that she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she lied. I also thought there was irony in her insisting that the rest of the family say whatever needed to be said to live, even if it meant lying about her. And then to see how the guilt of that almost killed Sarah.
I loved the quiet love and respect that Thomas carried for his wife. I loved the times when Sarah "caught" them being tender, caring and loving with one another. I also liked when Sarah realized that her father loved her and was showing her that love by insisting that she do things on her own so that she would be stronger for it.
I thought it was interesting that she liked her Uncle's home so much, and respected and admired him, and didn't feel that for her own family at first. The Uncle's family was so outwardly affectionate, and she loved that...but when it came down to it, he was a man of little integrity and no respect for his wife or family. While Sarah's family seemed cold and unloving on the surface, deep down there was love and respect in the relationships there.
And finally I loved how Sarah ended uup knowing and feeling that her mother loved her and that she was strong like Martha.
I really enjoyed reading about this time period, and found it incredible what we as humans can do to other humans. I cannot fathom what joy the girls who were the accusers got out of their accusations. It is interesting to see how the religious beliefs of the time shaped them...how they believed that when harm or death came to their family, others believed it was punishment from God, and how they learned to blame their misfortunes on others so that it didn't appear as though they were the evil ones...interesting look at human nature. Shocked and disgusted by the conditions of squallor in the "jail."
I could probably go on and on...but I won't...
Post a Comment