Monday, January 26, 2009

The Color of Water--Discussion

Hey Bookworms,

I hope you enjoyed reading “The Color of Water” this past month. I found that I liked it much more and got more out of it reading it a second time. Here are some questions to think about and discuss!

1. What does James learn about himself through finding out about his mother's past?
What do we learn about ourselves by understanding more about our parents? I felt like this was a big part of the book, James trying to figure out who he was. He was constantly looking for some sort of identity. I think that through finding out about his mother’s past James was able to see why he is the way he is. He was able to see himself as a human being and not just someone that wasn't white or black. When we take the time to listen to our parents and find out more about their past and present we are able to understand more about ourselves and our identity.

2. Why do you think Ruth placed such emphasis on hard work and education?
Ruth's background as a poor immigrant likely contributed to her excellent work ethic. In addition, however, the motivation may have been her drive to achieve self-reliance. Ruth believed in freedom, and education and hard work were paths toward that freedom. When Ruth first left Suffolk, she came to New York, working long hours in tedious, even dangerous jobs. Ruth also enjoyed education for its inherent worth. Never a lazy woman, Ruth loved to use her mind.

3. Several of the McBride children became involved in the civil rights movement. Do you think that this was a result of the times in which they lived, their need to belong to a group that lent them a solid identity, or a combination of these factors?
I think that the McBride children became involved with the civil rights movement because of the time they were living in, and also because it helped to give them an identity. I feel that they were swept up with the civil rights activities. The movement made them feel like they were doing something good to benefit the black people, and also that they were a part of that race. It gave them something to work for and become a part of.

Here are a few major themes I pulled of the internet. ( I hope that isn’t cheating) :)
There is so much to this book. Please discuss anything you would like about the book!

Major Themes

The Color of Water
When James asks his mother whether God is black or white, he is a boy living in a predominantly black community with a mother who looks white, and is simply expressing his personal confusion about race. To add to the confusion, however, his mother simply responds that she is "light-skinned". When his mother explains that God doesn't have a color, and that God is "the color of water", the image converges questions of racial and religious division into an essence that is clear and universally spiritual - in other words, "human".

The American Dream
When the Shilskys immigrate to America, they find a safe haven from the turmoil of Europe. The immigrant experience is also marked by the pursuit of the American Dream, as the family eventually settles in Suffolk, Virginia. Tateh opens a store, and the generational rift between the parents and the children intensifies. The division is particularly strong between Tateh, who can speak English, and Mameh, who cannot.
When Ruth's name is changed from Ruchel Dwajra Zylska to Rachel Deborah Shilsky, she undergoes a formal "Americanization". In high school, when she first begins going by Ruth instead of Rachel to appear less outwardly Jewish, she also undergoes another kind of change. When she moves away to New York, marries, and begins raising a family of her own as Ruth McBride Jordan, she becomes the kind of American who actively chooses her own destiny.
Ruth moves with her husband and their four children to Brooklyn's Red Hook Housing Projects, a place that she describes as exemplifying the "real American life" she has always dreamed of. As each of her twelve children finish college, become teachers, doctors, musicians, and businessmen and raise families of their own, another kind of "American Dream" comes true for Ruth.

Education
According to James, his mother denied her Jewish history, but sought a Jewish-style education for her children nonetheless. When the brief window of opportunity came, Ruth seized the chance to choose predominantly Jewish schools for each of her children to attend. In the house, the emphasis lay on grades and on church. She consistently drummed into their minds that money was nothing without education, and that education was the only avenue to making something of themselves. Being the token black students in their Jewish public schools, James and his siblings learned to survive in the world by performing well.
To supplement his formal education, James sought a "street education" in Louisville, Kentucky, where he stayed during the summers he was in high school. In Louisville, he frequented "the Corner", where Chicken Man offered him good advice, dispelling his naive belief that being a man on "the Corner" was a desirable life. Chicken Man insisted that he concentrate on his education, and that he try to pursue a better life.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

So I have to say that I was looking forward to reading this book. I was especially interested in what James had to share about being a black man being raised by a white mother. My husband and I have been contemplating adopting a multi-racial child, and I hoped that I might get some insider info on what it was like for him. James talked about how each child in the family, including himself, had a major identity crisis at one point. And really, can you blame them? Ruth was so vague, and to me, it seemed she hadn't figured out where she belonged either. I liked how she told James that God was the color of water. What a great description! But like James, I think I was hoping for a more 'black' and 'white' answer if you will. I really don't think he was satisfied with some of the answers Ruth gave him until he discovered some of her well-hidden past. I liked your first question about what we learn about ourselves by understanding more about our parents. I have learned a lot about myself, and of course my parents, as I delve into their past. I understand why they do some of the things they do, and in turn see how these things have affected me. Some good, some not so much. I think this raises a lot of interesting questions about the age old debate of Nature v. Nurture.
I really admired Ruth for emphasizing education and going to church. She had a lot of reasons to hate both education and any kind of religious institution. Sometimes I wish I had the same attitude Ruth had, in the sense, that she didn't seem to care what other people thought. Like when she rode her bicycle in a pretty tough part of the neighborhood. Being white didn't seem to bother her, let alone that she was an easy target on a bike. She loved easily, especially Jesus. Her conversion was complete and whole-hearted. What a 'colorful' lady she was!!
Although I didn't get satisfying answers on raising a multi-racial child, I appreciated James McBride's candor and honesty. Thanks for a great read!!

Linn said...

Okay, Adri got me. Chocolate is a great incentive to do what I should already be doing. Mostly, it is a good excuse to not worry about how lame my comments are and just make them. So, here you go.

After reading "The Color of Water, " I really didn't know how I felt about it. I am very glad I read it, would recommend it to others, liked it a lot, and yet, it just kind of gave me mixed feelings. While I learned a lot and thought many of the things discussed in the book were super interesting, I just kind of felt like I was left hanging and wasn't sure how to interrupt it all. But then again, that is also the mark of a great book...one that makes you think about it long after you are finished.

With all that being said--great pick! Thanks!

Shelley Reid said...

I promise I was going to post comments on this book but hadn’t had time yet, but I will definitely take a chocolate bribe Adri!
I enjoyed reading this book, and I was definitely interested in finding out the mystery of Ruth’s history. I think that most people are intrigued by where they came from, and I know from my limited research into my family’s history that it is fascinating to learn about the lives of your ancestors. I do think it is sad that James had to work so hard to find out where his mother came from. But I guess that I don’t blame his mother for wanting to forget.
I liked reading about Ruth’s dedication to God and to education and I was touched by the fact that her dreams for her children’s success and education came true. I think that part of the reason she valued education so much was that she never had the opportunity to continue her own education. I think that made her want it for her children even more.
Thanks for the great book!

Marisa said...

I really enjoyed listening to this book. The narrators seemed to put real people behind the names. I'm one who hopes time travel is possible after we die simply because I want to see places at different times throughout history. I'd love to see Long Island 500 years ago. The author describes housing projects, neighborhoods, and communities and often refers to "back when it was a nice place to be." I mused on how quickly neighborhoods decay, become crime ridden, fall into disrepair, and transform from a place where people are proud to live to a place where it's not safe to live.
I'm an advocate for education myself so I was so glad Ruth understood the importnace of education and what a tribute to her that all 12 of her children graduated from college and then some! It really is the best way to end the poverty cycle.
I liked Ruth's description of black people as accepting and loving -- something she rarely found with white people. It was interesting that she was more comfortable with black people and it was portrayed well that she truly loved her husbands. It sure is a different world now, not perfect, but I think society, in general, has come a long way in accepting and respecting the African Americans. (Of course, I've never lived in the South but I've heard about it.)
I have a lot of respect for Ruth and her determination to love unconditionally, raise successful children, and have pretty thick skin. I don't have thick skin. She had a tough life and I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have the grit and determination to make it.
I thought it was a great book with great insight into the lives of a fascinating family. Thanks!

Jen Matthews said...

Okay-I guess I just needed a challenge and adding chocolate is always a bonus. I usually get the books so late my comments are out dated but with chocolate at stake-here goes-

Question1-I wish we would have learned more about his mothers past-I was left with a lot of questions. I have been talking to Spencer about my parents past lately. This January marks the 20th anniversary of my fathers death. In Feb, on his bday we all get together and celebrate his life. My mom went through their life history together this year and told me some interesting new things (probably not new-just listening better this time) about her parents that I didn't know. It gave me a very interesting perspective into her life and parenting style. I was really eye opening for me.

2-I loved her emphasis on education and hard work. It has been lost in our society. Everyone wants something for nothing....in various forms and versions. I think there are no get rich quick schemes. I think she knew from experience that you can accomplish and do anything with hard work. I think she saw education as a way for her children to rise above their situation....I wish more people had that view. Education is liberation. That is the best thing for children to learn. I found her fascinating.

thanks for the recommendation-

Jen