This is an amazing and true accounting of the 1914 Antarctic expedition gone awry. For nearly two years, in conditions of constant zero and below cold, freezing wet, and often hunger, Ernest Shackleton kept all 27 men who sailed with him on the Endurance alive to eventually return to the England they left on the verge of World War I. Shakleton's leadership style and devotion to his men is fascinating.
It is clear that the author, Alfred Lansing, did an incredible amount of research, and though this book doesn't read like a novel, its presentation is powerful, giving a panoramic view of the whole terrible and desperate situation of these men. Lansing dedicated the book "In appreciation for whatever it is that makes men accomplish the impossible." He wisely and without flourish often lets the men's own words -- through the journals that many of them kept at the time and in interviews forty years later -- tell their extraordinary story, each stage of which reads more harrowing than the last.
2 comments:
Thanks for the review, Laura. I haven't yet read this, but I did see an amazing documentary about Shackleton's voyage. It was so real-to-life, I was FREEZING the entire time I was watching it. Sometimes truth is so unbelievable, it makes you wonder if we really need fiction? :)
It's true, every time I opened the book the temperature in the room seemed to drop 30 degrees. You may want to save this for a summer read. :)
Post a Comment