I'm supposed to review a book that I have been reading. Guess what, sometimes I just pick a book from the list or blog that you have all read long ago and try to read it. Usually it takes me weeks or months. I can renew three times at the library, that's nine weeks, and I still may not get it read. Some of you have read it and even commented on it. When I am so behind, I don't go back to post to the discussion, but I do read the discussion. Frankly, when I finish reading the Ensign for the month, I feel good about my reading. However, when I review the list of books we have chosen since the beginning, I have read a lot of them! And I've certainly read more in the last five years than in my entire life, so I becoming more "well read." Thanks to you, Adri. I am looking forward to reading October's selection. I just checked it out tonight. So I resolve to post and add to the discussion! I am reading Ella Minnow Pea at Faye's recommendation. I read First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the American Presidents this summer. I enjoyed both of those. Thanks for the recommendation. Now, for a few days I have been wondering what on earth I could recommend since what I have been reading lately, you have already read! I thought of it tonight!
Einstein Never Used Flashcards. About three years ago I was on the library site looking for something to pick for book club. Intrigued by the title, I checked it out. Before I got half way through it, I went to B&N and bought my own copy. A very interesting perspective on the push to make our children smarter than all their peers by drill and kill (flashcards and worksheets) when what they really need is opportunities to explore nature, engage in real conversation, read books, cook with mom, participate in unstructured play, do math with concrete objects, you know, the exact things you already do with your children just because you are an educated and good mother. The book cites research and I like the writing style of the authors. It also suggests activities to try with your child to demonstrate their point and support the validity of the research. So, perhaps when you finish October's selection a week ahead of schedule, you may check it out and skim through it. And maybe some of you can offer me time management tips on how you are wonderful mothers, fantastic homemakers, and still find time to read. Now I must finish Ella Minnow Pea tonight - it's due tomorrow and I can't renew it a fourth time.
6 comments:
Thanks for the recommendation, Marisa, and I'm pretty sure your 'confessional' scenario is pretty common. Has ANYONE finished reading ALL the books we've ever done for Bookworms? If you have, post here, and you get a prize. If not, then, like Marisa, you must be normal! :)
I love this post Marisa! And I am definitely with you. I have ready more books, and more of a variety of books, than usual, but am still way behind on our list. But I am always surprised when I look at the list and see how many I have made it through. So, no prize for me. But a huge thanks to Adri for starting Bookworms. I love it! And now I'd better start reading "To Kill a Mockingbird." I hear someone picked it for this month's book.
Thank you! I miss reading...I used to really enjoy it. Now it makes me feel guilty. Because there is always something else I "should" be doing...Like you, if I make it through the WHOLE Ensign, I feel great! Bookworms gives me lots of suggestions of books I want to read...one day! Thanks Adri, for letting those of us who want to read more but just can't or don't be a part of your little circle of friends! My youngest is 8...10 more years!
:o)
Do you get a prize for not reading any of the books? Not that I know anyone that fits in this category-just askin.
No, Marisa, you are not alone. But, thanks for the recommendation. I'm excited to check out "Einstein Never Used Flash Cards." I love that children can learn so much just by living! That's why they need mothers close by every day...so we can teach them as we go. What a great concept!
I think this book sounds fascinating, if not validating, and I'm sure will rid me of guilt concerning my daughters education. I, like you Marisa, have not finished all the book club picks yet but am grateful for all the excellent reccomendations from everyone! It seems that the stack of books next to my bed is getting higher and higher and my time is getting shorter and shorter, but I'm never at a loss for something to read. :)
Post a Comment