Monday, September 22, 2008

Book Review: Marley and Me by John Grogan


Dear Bookworms,

I love to read books but I especially love to read books about dogs. I have two lab dogs, so this is right up my alley. One of my old co-workers referred this book to me. We are both proud dog owners and could relate to this sweet family. Marley and Me is about a young couple starting their life together. They had the perfect marriage and life but felt like they were missing something. They decided to get a puppy, that's right, a young, energetic, waggly tail, hairy lab puppy. From that moment on life wasn't the same. And they named him Marley. Marley quickly grew up to be 97 lbs., running, jumping, and drooling on guest. Marley wasn't able to be trained but he was loyal and loving. He helped them survive through a pregnancy and then a miscarriage. He was there when the babies finally arrived. He was charming but also trouble. Marley grew old and unable to play. The family struggled when he finally passed away. Being outside without him by their side was hard. He taught the family what true unconditional love is. As Grogan said "is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog?" I really enjoyed this easy, feel-good read and hopefully you all can sit down and travel through a dogs life. The bonus is this book is coming out to movie theatre's this Christmas. Happy Reading!!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Our yellow lab came into our lives when my husband and I desperately needed something to love. Soon after, a friend of mine told me to read Marley and Me. I couldn't resist because the dog on the cover looked exactly like ours. Thank goodness that's where the similarities ended because I don't know if I could've handled an overactive puppy/dog like Marley. I really liked the book though and had plenty of good laughs and of course a good cry at the end. Apparently, after Marley died, the Grogan family got another yellow lab puppy and that one too was filled with just as much personality as Marley. The famous dog whisperer, Cesar Milan, made a visit to their house to assess their dog-handling skills. I never saw the episode but have wondered if their newest addition has been a little more "trainable"?!?!?