If you love history, you will love this book! Devil in the White City is about 2 men during the 1893 World Fair in Chicago. "Their fates were linked by the magical Chicago World's Fair of 1893, nicknamed the 'White City' for its majestic beauty. Architect Daniel Burnham built it; serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes used it to lure victims to his World's Fair Hotel, designed for murder. Both men left behind a legacy, one of brilliance and energy, the other of sorrow and darkness." Daniel Burnham is "striving to secure America's place in the world." I was amazed at what he accomplished. It is nonfiction-that was the best part for me. I hope you find it fascinating! FYI-it is not graphic in nature. It does not give much detail of the murders. He was nothing like Jack the Ripper. However, if you do not want to read about that aspect of the fair, you can still enjoy the history. I hope I don't spoil it when I say the 2 never cross paths in the book. Each chapter is about one or the other (usually he goes every other chapter until near the end). So, if you start a chapter and it's not the architect, it's really easy to skip to the next. You don't miss anything by leaving Dr. Holmes out. It is great to take on your road trips or where ever you are headed this month. I found the book captivating and I hope you do to-can't wait to hear what you think. Happy Reading and Happy 4th of July!
Monday, June 30, 2008
July's Book pic-Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
If you love history, you will love this book! Devil in the White City is about 2 men during the 1893 World Fair in Chicago. "Their fates were linked by the magical Chicago World's Fair of 1893, nicknamed the 'White City' for its majestic beauty. Architect Daniel Burnham built it; serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes used it to lure victims to his World's Fair Hotel, designed for murder. Both men left behind a legacy, one of brilliance and energy, the other of sorrow and darkness." Daniel Burnham is "striving to secure America's place in the world." I was amazed at what he accomplished. It is nonfiction-that was the best part for me. I hope you find it fascinating! FYI-it is not graphic in nature. It does not give much detail of the murders. He was nothing like Jack the Ripper. However, if you do not want to read about that aspect of the fair, you can still enjoy the history. I hope I don't spoil it when I say the 2 never cross paths in the book. Each chapter is about one or the other (usually he goes every other chapter until near the end). So, if you start a chapter and it's not the architect, it's really easy to skip to the next. You don't miss anything by leaving Dr. Holmes out. It is great to take on your road trips or where ever you are headed this month. I found the book captivating and I hope you do to-can't wait to hear what you think. Happy Reading and Happy 4th of July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This looks fun, Jen....I'm excited to pick it up!
Post a Comment