Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Boy Who Was Raised By Librarians

I have no doubt that we are all frequenters of the public library so this book review is dedicated to all of us and the children who accompany us on our visits!
This is a story of a boy named Melvin who lives at the Livingston Public Library. "Well...he didn't really live there. he just spent lots and lots of time there." The story follows Melvin and his daily trips to the library where he meets and befriends the three loveable and somewhat eccentric librarians behind the reference desk Marge, Betty, and Leeola. The librarians help Melvin find information on snakes and bugs, how to archive, sort, and price baseball cards, and help him prepare for a school play among other adventures. "They couldn't help it. That's how librarians are". Melvin continues to visit the library all throughout his school career and is sad to say goodbye after high school graduation. After college, he becomes the Livingston Public Libary's newest librarian and starts the cycle all over again!
I, like Melvin, have a fondness for a particular library and the librarian behind the reference desk. If you've ever been to the Children's section of the Provo City Library you might have a desire to rediscover the magic and innocence of childhood that we slowly seem to lose as adults. The librarian behind the reference desk that makes all this possible (and so much more) is Carla Morris. Not only is she the author of this book, but she just happens to be my aunt!! Thanks in part to my aunt Carla I can truly call myself a bookworm. :)
I'm not the only one who can thank Carla for their love of books and libraries though. Ian Perkes, aka "Melvin", really did "live" in the Provo City Library, and my aunt Carla really did "raise" him! Ian began working at the library at the age of 16 under a government program set up for disadvantaged youth. My aunt and the other librarians there helped him with school work, taught him proper etiquette, and even helped him ask a girl to the prom! Years later, he is now an official full-time employee of the Provo City Library. :)
Perhaps I may be biased in my opinion of this book, but "The Boy Who Was Raised By Librarians" has been nominated for the 2009 Beehive Award (Utah State Book Awards), under Children's Picture Books, so I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's a great read. You'll have to check it out and tell me what you think!!!

2 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks for this fun suggestion, Nicole! We had to request it from our library system, but it was well worth the wait. I love the story, and the pictures are so fun. My kids enjoyed it, too!

Kami said...

What a cute book! And, even better that it's TRUE! I'm really glad we checked it out--thanks!