Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull


"Fablehaven" by Brandon Mull is an exciting new fantasy series for teens. It is the story of a fairytale refuge called Fablehaven created to prevent the extinction of all magical creatures. Two children, Kendra and Seth, discover the wonder of Fablehaven when they spend the summer with their grandparents and are forced to face the greatest magical challenge of their lives. "Fablehaven" is filled with imagination and mystery. Inside the magical reserve you will meet "greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies." The characters are both likable and entertaining. Parents will enjoy reading "Fablehaven" with their children as they explore this magical kingdom together.

I enjoyed the imaginative characters of Fablehaven and appreciated the way Brandon Mull stayed true to classic fairytale stereotypes. I loved the description of the grand home and beautiful landscape surrounding Fablehaven. The details of the children's nursery were delightful. This book is missing some of the deeper meanings and symbols that you find in other series like "Narnia" and "Harry Potter," but this may appear in the subsequent books. I look forward to reading the sequel "Rise of the Evening Star" this week and may also pick up a copy of Brandon Mull's latest book "Candy Shop War." Enjoy!

1 comment:

mags said...

I think I've heard of this book! Didn't a guy from Utah write it. I love the creativity of it!