Monday, October 29, 2007

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands

I just returned from a little girls get-a-way this weekend. While we were driving, we listened to Dr. Laura's advice on The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Dr. Laura gives some great advice, ideas, stories, and what to do's and not to do's about how to treat your man. We found that as we listened she mentioned many truths which we already knew because of our faith, and more obviously from our observations of others. You see, all four of us are single, and we have compiled years of observations of marriages and relationships. We found it quite comical that, we as single woman, were listening to this advice. And yet we were all taking mental notes of what is best to do and not to do to help a man feel important, needed, and loved.

We know from observation and some experience in dating relationthips the various ways women view, talk with/at, treat, and communicate in other ways with their man. We have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. As we discussed some of the great advice as well as the truths we already knew, we wished all women could hear or read this book. Not because we didn't think they don't know about how to kindly love, support and treat their husbands, but because it is such a great reminder of the power of women's influence for the good. Unfortunately, we do have friends who don't treat their husbands very well at all, and we only wish they could love and respect them more simply because they have a husband. It is easy for all of us to take advantage of something or not appreciate it as much when we are comfortable with it or the mundane routines of life over take the excitement away from something. As single women, we laughed that we would be glad just to have someone's dirty socks to pick up or have someone to cook a meal for or even have a hand to hold. We know, again from observation, that marriage is hard work and takes lots of giving. We also made personal notes of what we would gladly take in stride as part of having a man in our lives.

I know a few of you personally on this blog, and I admire your marriage relationships. I would be interested to know if any of you have read this book and what your thoughts are about Dr. Laura's advice.

1 comment:

Adri said...

I loved this book, Monica. Thanks for bringing it up. I think it is a must-read for every wife. I read it with a book group in Kentucky and it was one of the liveliest discussions we ever had! I don't remember specifics, but I came away really determined to be a better wife and companion. Highly recommended!