
Warning: this is non-fiction. The story of a Viennese Jewish family
Warning, part deux: It is also excellent and you will want to come visit me after you read it. So there.
Teaser:
In George Clare’s memoir, “The Last Waltz in Vienna,” he describes the ideas that converged in the Germanic regions between the World Wars (and before). And he describes his family’s fate as a result of those ideas. But, most of all, he talks about his own sometimes boyish interpretation of the events that carved the destiny of the Jews in Europe and that indeed changed the future of the world.
Many years after WWII, he returned to Vienna; to the apartment where he grew up. He says, “And I had to accept that my parents had lived in two flats: the flat the eyes of the boy had seen and recorded, and the flat as it really was, the one the eyes of the man were looking at.”


1 comment:
I'm so excited about this book Mara! I love a good story...especially when it is true! And, I already want to come visit you in Vienna, so I'm sure this will just feed the fire!
Post a Comment