
I'm a big fan of Newbery Award books....probably more now that I'm an adult than I even was as a kid! Maybe because I have a simple mind, the "thinking" books for children seem to be right on my level! And, they are usually clean, easy to read, and uplifting.
The Newbery Medal, named for 18th-century British Bookseller, John Newbery, is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
You can view a list of the Newbery Winners on the ALA website. Which are your favorites? Why? Are there any you've read that you didn't enjoy? Many of the Honor books (I think they choose three of these each year) are favorites, too. These are great books to share with a child you love! Happy reading!
3 comments:
I think my all time favorite Newbery Book is probably "The Tale of Despereaux" (2004). This book is just plain fun! We read it for Bookworms a LONG time ago, so if you missed it, I highly recommend picking it up!
I also love "Out of the Dust" (1998). It is written in prose, and is a beautiful, haunting book about a girl and her memories.
The book that 'started it all' (it inspired me to start Bookworms back in 2002), "The Giver" (1994), is completely intriguing. I still find myself thinking about the characters, the plot, and the hard to answer ethical questions posed in the "Utopian" society of the book.
I remember loving "Number the Stars" (1990) as a young girl. It tells of a young Jewish girl trying to escape the horrors of the Nazi regime. I am still drawn to books of this genre.
And, lastly, I love the classic, "A
Wrinkle in Time" (1963). This was probably my first "thinker" book as a kid and the book that made me feel I could actually read and understand something more complex than "Babysitters' Club." It was a privilege, years later, to hear author Madeleine L'Engle speak at my college graduation at BYU.
Okay...one more...I can't resist adding "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" (1968). What a fun book about living in a museum. A dream come true! :)
Ade,
I agree with your recommendations. It seems like Newbery books are usually not long, either. That makes them even more appealing to me.
I also loved "The Giver" and "Number the Stars" (long ago!) I'd love to read them again...but who has time to re-read books? Anyone?
I enjoyed "Bridge to Terabithia," when an elementary school teacher read it to our class. I've noticed it's been made into a movie now as well.
"Pictures of Hollis Woods," which we read with Bookworms, was an Honor book. I thought it was a decent story.
Didn't you read "Walk Two Moons," Adri? How was that one?
I don't think I've read any others. But, if someone has a favorite, I'd love to hear about it!
I did read Walk Two Moons, and thought it was good. Not my VERY favorite, but a good story I would recommend, for sure.
Post a Comment