Ok....so I've been slacking on reading the books! Give me a break....just because it took me 2 1/2 months to read "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James doesn't make me a "bad" bookclub member. Ok, so maybe it does. Or maybe it just means that I've been a little distracted lately, I can't decide. Anyway, I am returning that late-fee infested book to the library today and hopefully will try to get the April book read in the next few days. But I'm not one to often align myself with such lofty goals, so I guess all I should commit to is: "We'll See." But in my quest to become ever-more hypocritical, I am announcing my choice for the May book and do expect ALL to read and comment. He He. With this said, I do highly recommend the book. Those of you who have spoken with me in the past few months have I'M SURE heard me mention it only about 1,000 times in each conversation. So, I'm sure you won't be shocked to hear that I would like to choose "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. Don't worry...it's not necessarily about Lolita, but a female literature teacher in revolutionary Iran and her quest for transcendence from a world she helped to create. It's about the bond of women in a repressed society. And most importantly (for our purposes), it's a story about the relevancy of literature (ancient and modern) to our everyday lives.
Happy Reading!
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mara-I just finished this book a few months ago-LOVED IT!! Great pick-I can't wait to see what everyone else has to say.
JEN
Post a Comment