Adri has asked me to lead the discussion this month. Please endure because I lack Adri’s talent and just enjoy a good read without thinking about it too much. So I have turned to the internet for help with this discussion.
There were a couple of questions that actually did nag at the back of my mind. First why did we never find out the name of the antagonist? And second, what kind of relationship did Maxim and the antagonist really have, what made it work? Well I found similar questions and answers which follow.
Why does the heroine remain nameless? Is this namelessness symbolic?
Early in the novel Maxim tells the heroine, "You have a very lovely and unusual name." But the reader never learns what that name is, or what her family name was before she married Maxim and became Mrs. de Winter. This absence of a name symbolizes the heroine's uncertain identity, on which she often nearly loses her grip during her time at Manderley. In marrying Maxim she has taken a new name, and her new acquaintances address her by this name, but she cannot feel comfortable in it--for she is not the first Mrs. de Winter. Effectively, she is competing for the right to bear her title of Mrs. de Winter- -competing with a ghost, the dead Rebecca. In each of the roles denoted by that name--wife, society hostess, mistress of Manderley--she feels eclipsed by the memory of her predecessor. Indeed, it is Rebecca's name that echoes throughout the book, over and over; and her name constitutes the book's very title. For most of the novel, Rebecca is on the verge of overpowering the heroine, and the heroine seems in danger of losing herself altogether; the danger reaches its peak in the symbolic scene in which she wears the same costume Rebecca wore to Manderley's previous costume ball. Only the revelation of Rebecca's true nature enables the heroine to feel confident in being Mrs. de Winter, and in being mistress of Manderley. Only then does she learn that the name of Rebecca, the name she has heard over and over again since marrying Maxim, has denoted a mere illusion; the real Rebecca was nothing like the mythic woman to whom the heroine had ascribed the name. Now the heroine must no longer compete for her name with an unattainable perfection; she can begin to forge her identity.
Discuss the role of the Oedipus/Electra complex in the novel.
The Oedipus complex is a psychological theory that suggests that boys have a strong desire to kill their father and marry their mother. When the genders of this complex are reversed, the phenomenon takes the name "Electra complex," after a character in Greek drama who connived in the murder of her mother. It is this dynamic that plays out in Rebecca, as the heroine finds that she needs to overcome a maternal figure in order to marry the paternal figure, the older man Maxim. In fact, the story provides two such maternal figures: the first is Mrs. Van Hopper, the heroine's surrogate mother at Monte Carlo. But Mrs. Van Hopper exerts a rather weak force, and victory over her is easily won; in fact, Maxim actually defeats her on the heroine's behalf, by volunteering to reveal to her the news of their engagement. After the couple arrives at Manderley, the heroine encounters the second, and more powerful, maternal figure--a woman who was actually Maxim's wife, the ostensibly perfect Rebecca. The fact that Rebecca is dead, from the heroine's perspective, only enhances her strength: how can the heroine hope to compete with a dead woman? How does one "kill"--even in a metaphorical sense--a woman who only exists in her husband's memory? Resolution comes when Maxim reveals the truth about Rebecca: that she was wicked, and that he never loved her. From the heroine's perspective, this eliminates the figure of Rebecca as a threat to her happiness, effectively "killing" her.
There are many other elements of Rebecca that can be discussed, but there are three questions I submit and would like to hear your view.
First, is justice served at the end of the novel?
Second, this is a story of the antagonist coming into “womanhood.” Do you feel she arrived?
Third, why was Frank so loyal to Maxim? Why was Mrs. Danvers so loyal to Rebecca? And is there a difference between their loyality?
I am afraid I don’t have the answers or need help forming them into the correct words. So please share you insights to these questions and anything else you would like to share. I look forward to hearing your replies.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I loved this book. I hated that I finished it and then had to wait for the discussion. I thought it was really telling that not only did the author not give us the protagonists name but she used the name Rebecca as the title of the entire book. Even in the body of the story she seldom used pronouns when referring to Rebecca, but used her proper name. I thought it was fascinating to watch the character struggle to compete with what was essentially a ghost at an age when many of us worry far too much about others and how we compare. The revelation that Rebecca was not the paragon of perfection that she had imagined her to be also fit into this theme. Even still I compare my self and my accomplishements to others, but none of us are quite as shiny as we seem. Loved and hated the ending. It was sooo abrupt which definitely left me wanting more but it also left the reader to draw their own conclusions. I'm probably mean and evil but I think Rebacca got what she wanted and I didn't feel the need for Maxim to be punished anymore. I wondered if Mrs. VH was striking out at him or just the universe as all the truths came to light.
I read this book back when I was a teenager and loved it! I've been wanting to read it again as an adult, so was curious to see if I liked it as much. Yup! I did. I don't often delve too deeply into the mystery genre, but I have to say that I think this one is pretty great. Classic mystery in my opinion.
I like the symbolism of the heroine being nameless. Very interesting literary tool. As a reader it was easy for me to insert myself into her place because of that. The emotions seemed richer, deeper somehow????
I do have to say that the romance between her and Maxim annoyed me this time around. The heroine refers to herself on more than one occasion as one of Maxim's dogs. He would "pat" her head every now and then, but didn't seem to "see" her. That was exactly the feeling I got. Unfortunately, the ending didn't do much to change my mind. I think their relationship definitely improved, but more like a devoted daughter/father status...at least to me.
Great pick as always!!
Post a Comment