Monday, March 30, 2009

Book Discussion: The Hunger Games

I hope most of you were able to get a hold of this book. If not, I would still recommend sticking it out on your library's waiting list. You can comment any time and it is a quick read.

So...what'd you think??? This book left me much to ponder on, and I think it is written in a way that would really make the young adult audience, for which it was intended, really contemplate the question: could this really happen? Could the world ever get to this point? Here are a few questions I found online (or made up) that will hopefully get the conversation rolling.

Discussion Questions

1. What Panem and/or Capitol philosophies that seem so outrageous in the book do you see stemming from some of the political, social and moral philosophies of today?

2. The Hunger Games were, in my mind, a cross between reality TV, video games and the Roman Colessium. What might the author be sayimg about human nature?

3. How does the fact that the tributes are always on camera affect their behavior from the time they are chosen? Does it make it easier or harder for them to accept their fate? How are the "career tributes" different from the others?

4. Why are the "tributes" given stylists and dressed so elaborately for the opening ceremony? Does this ceremony remind you of events in our world, either past or present? Compare those ceremonies in real life to the one in the story.

5. When did you know that Peeta really is in love with Katniss? Did you ever doubt his sincerity? Does Katniss really care for him?

6. Before the Games start, Peeta tells Katniss, " . . . I want to die as myself . . . I don't want them to change me in there. Turn me into some kind of monster that I'm not." What does this tell you about Peeta? What does he fear more than death? Is he able to stay true to himself during the Games?

7. Why does Peeta join with the Career Tributes in the beginning of the Games? What does he hope to gain? Why do they accept him when they start hunting as a group? Why do groups form in the beginning when they know only one of them will be able to survive?

8. What makes Katniss and Rue trust each other to become partners? What does Katniss gain from this friendship besides companionship? Is Katniss and Rue's partnership formed for different reasons than the other group's?

9. In 1848, Karl Marx wrote in The Communist Manifesto, "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Discuss this statement as it applies to the society and government of Panem. Do you believe there is any chance to eradicate class struggles in the future?

10. Was anyone else reminded of The Giver, by Lois Lowery when reading this book?

11. Will you read the sequel?

6 comments:

Linn said...

Thanks for the discussion questions. This really was an amazing read. I think what surprised me most about this book is that from the very beginning, I could not put it down. I was completely into it. But when I would really think about what it was about and the entire plot of the story, I almost felt crazy reading it and being so into it, like it was normal to be reading about this certain idea or something.

Okay, answers to a few of the questions.

#5: I felt that Peeta was in love with Katniss when he gave her the bread (when she was starving after the death of her father). I could just sense it through the author's writing. And in my opinion, Katniss never truly cared for him. That is apparent at the very end, when she raises her bow to him, but he draws his knife to throw it away.

#6: I don't believe Peeta ever changes who he is. From what I can tell, everything he did before, during and after the games was to protect Katniss first and himself second. But I felt like he always did it in an honorable way (which is a strange thing to say considering they were killing people).

#11: Absolutely!

Okay, enough from me. I am anxious to hear what others thought about the book. Thanks Ade! Great pick!

Nicole said...

First off, yes, this book reminded me of "The Giver", to an extent. And yes, I believe that I'll read the sequel.

I found this book extremely intriguing and have to say, that anyone who can come up with a plot like the one in the book has got an amazing imagination...a characteristic I unfortunately do not possess. Needless to say, I couldn't put it down and reveled, almost guiltily, in the storyline. I think that says a lot about human nature in general. That I found myself horrified but intrigued at the same time was disturbing. I guess I can compare it to watching a horror movie. Most of the time I cover my eyes and will peek through my fingers once the music has reached it's crescendo and then it's okay to look no matter how gory because at least the suspense is over. And plus I can walk away in one piece and still be alive unlike the majority of the characters in the movie, or in this case, the book.

Ironically, my other bookclub is reviewing "The Giver" for the month of April, and while there are similarities, there are some differences too. I have discovered two new terms (to me at least) relating to books like "The Hunger Games" and the "The Giver": dystopia, and anti-utopia. "A dystopian society is one in which the conditions of life are miserable, characterized by human misery, poverty, oppression, violence, disease, and/or pollution. A dystopia does not pretend to be utopian, while an anti-utopia appears to be utopian or was intended to be so, but a fatal flaw or other factor has destroyed or twisted the intended utopian world or concept." (wikipedia) I definitely found that "The Hunger Games" fits more under the definition of dystopia, while the "The Giver" has more anti-utopian roots (those of you more well versed in these terms, please correct me if I'm wrong). I found the traits of a dystopian society very interesting, some a little too scary for my comfort, like the attack on religion, family, and motherhood.

While books like this give an exaggerated and post-apocolyptic version of future life, they always raise some interesting questions and force me to look at political, social, and moral philosophies in a different way.

Thanks Adri!

Shelley Reid said...

I loved reading this book although I was a little bit perturbed that the end of the book didn't really resolve anything, it was just trying to get you to read the next one, which I probably will read, so I guess it worked!

2. One thing that stood out to me a lot was the similarities between the hunger games and reality TV. Although not as extreme as watching other people kill each other, much of reality TV consists of watching other people fail. The hugely popular TV show American Idol spends a lot of time to show all of the people who think that they can sing but really just end up humiliating themselves. I can’t stand this part of the season, but I have had many people tell me it is their favorite. Why? Does it make us feel better about ourselves because we aren’t that dumb or ugly or socially inept? Why do we enjoy watching other people fail or in the case of the Hunger games, murder each other and get murdered?

4. The tributes are given stylist and dressed so elaborately because of money, sponsors, fame, etc. Just like today in the movie and TV industries. I thought this part of the book was great, it pointed out how ridiculous and shallow fashion and fame can get. It made me think about what fashion is going to be like in the future, if it is going to get as bizarre and ridiculous as in the book.

5. I never really doubted Peeta’s love for Katniss, I think it became clear when they were talking on the roof the night before the games began. When he shares his moral struggle with her about not being changed into a monster, I knew that he was an honorable and moral person. The love story in the book was what kept me so into this book. Put a love story in any setting and I am hooked!

Kami said...

I had almost given up on getting a copy of this book when Shelley let me borrow hers. I read it fairly quickly--it was hard to put down. But, the whole time I kept thinking, "Seriously? Is this really what's going to happen?" The whole idea was so disturbing. My husband thought I was crazy when I explained the story line!

#2-I agree with Shelley that it's human nature for us to enjoy watching other people in dramatic situations. Reality TV kind of bugs me (but I'm guilty of watching it!) Sometimes I think, "Why don't we just LIVE our lives instead of watch other people living theirs?" But, I guess watching living is better than watching dying. I find it hard to imagine that our society would ever let a "Hunger Games" exist...even that many years into the future.

#8-I think Katniss acts the most human of all the tributes, forming an alliance with Rue really more for companionship than anything else. You have to appreciate her cleverness as she plays the "game," though. She could anticipate what people were thinking and made smarter choices than those who were just out to kill. Even her "love" for Peeta was part of her strategy. It worked for her, but made me sad for him in the end.

An interesting read. I kept hoping that by the end, some Capitol policy change would be brought about by Katniss's determination. But, maybe that will happen in book #6. :) Just kidding...but I don't know how many sequels I could handle!

Angie said...

I happened to be reading the Giver at the same time foe another book group and couldn't stop seeing the parallels. I was enthralled and will absolutely read the sequel-great choice!

Jen Matthews said...

Well, better late than never again I guess. I read it in 2 days-I could not put it down!

11-I have already read the sequel. I ordered it a few days after it came out (Sept. 1 for those obsessed as I am). It leaves you even more hanging than the first. Just as good! Good news-there's only 3 in the series and I just read someone has bought the movie rights and the author is writing the screen play....just a little fyi-no, I'm not obsessed at all!

2-I was reading info on the author and she actually came up with the idea one day when she was flipping channel b/t reality tv shows and news about the war. I find it interesting that was her combo and yet it makes sense-why not and how long will it take until we have video cameras attached to our ym/yw of the armed forces so we can really see all the action-not that I want to but it made me think a little of where reality tv can go from here.

1-In reading her description of the capital she is constantly jabbing at today's society. What is acceptable and superficial about the way we live. One part I remember specifically was when she was sitting at the table with someone-I believe Cinna-and he pushes a button and food comes out of the middle of the table all prepared. She makes some comment like-what do people do all day when they can just push a button and their food appears. What do we do all day? I'm sure our pioneer ancestors would like to know the same thing and yet we feel just as busy and crazy as ever-never enough time in the day.

Anyway-loved the book-loved the sequel-can't wait for #3 sometime next year-