Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February Book Discussion- "The Ultimate Gift"


I would just like to share a few comments about what I learned from this book, and what stood out to me. Red Stephens clearly impacted the life of his great-nephew. Although his uncle passed on, I don’t feel that he could have caused the change in Jason that occurred- had he still been living. The lessons he taught Jason would stay with him throughout his life.

I would like to summarize a few of the points that have helped me to examine what I can change in my own life, and what I can take from reading this book.


  • The Gift of Friends: Toward the end of the book Jason observed of friendship: “When you just worry about yourself, you are always disappointed. But when you think about others first and their well-being, everything works out best for you and for them.” Isn’t this true? The investment that you put into a friendship is definitely always smaller than the return!
  • The Gift of Family: “Families are present when love is present.” I have been blessed to have a wonderful family. They are always there for me when I need them. Just like family, I also have friends that I also consider family. I love my friends dearly and consider them to be family as well.
  • The Gift of Laughter: “…sometimes in life, you either laugh or you cry. And I prefer to laugh.” What a wonderful attitude. We are going to go through challenges; there is nothing we can do to avoid that. However we can choose how we react to them. “Laughter is good medicine for the soul.”
  • The Gift of a Day: “If we can learn how to live one day to its fullest, our lives will be rich and meaningful…Why should we wait until the last day of our lives to begin living the maximum day?” I feel at times I take the minutes, hours, days, and weeks for granted. It is often hard to remember that, “Each day is a gift.” Life is short and yet, so much depends on our time.
  • The Gift of Gratitude: “In those times we yearn to have more in our lives, we should dwell on the things we already have.” I liked the idea the book gave of the “Golden List.” Our lives would indeed be full if we practiced this concept.

Hope you enjoyed reading “The Ultimate Gift.” I liked reading this book, and the different perspectives it shared on life and how we can gain the most from it. Although I gained new perspectives from reading this book, I must admit that I think I may have liked the movie better. (Is that a sin?) Hope you all have an enjoyable rest of the month. Thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts on “The Ultimate Gift.”

6 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Amy. I thought this book had a good overall idea, but there was just so much missing in the execution! I'd be interested in seeing the movie because I've heard from several places that it is better than the book.

Kami said...

Is the movie available to rent? Maybe I'll check the library. I can see how it would be better than the book. Predictable movies are still fun to watch, even though you know what is going to happen. I kept waiting for a twist in the book...maybe one month the nephew would refuse to do the assignment...or not show up to his meeting or something. But, there was no twist, which made it all sort of repetitive for me.

However, I love a short book that I can read in only a couple sittings so this was right up my alley!

It was fun to think that an uncle would care so much for his nephew to go to all the time and effort it took him to prepare the lessons. I wish we could all learn life's lessons from our family members before they pass away. I think they have a lot to teach!

Thanks!

Amy said...

The movie has been out for awhile. It is definitely one that you don't have to worry about the language or uncomfortable scenes. I would really love to hear how you like the movie. Thank you for your comments!

Fay said...

I appreciated the easy read book as well and thought it seemed SOooo familiar. I must have seen the movie! It was predictable but a good message just the same. It's true that when we lose ourselves in the spirit of serving others, we truly find ourselves. thanks, Amy

Monica Sue said...

I saw the move. I did not read the book. From what I can gather the movie has the message of the book, but adds additional scenes. It was a thought provoking message and clean movie.

I can't remember if this is based on a true story or not. If so, what a clever way to teach others about the real purposes of life.

Jen Matthews said...

So, I'm really late at posting here-I thought I had already posted. I have seen the movie and read the book and they are a little different with the same message. I have the movie if anyone here (Kaysville) is interested in borrowing it. I love the way he taught the lessons. I think that most of us could say we have been tested in some of these aspect of our lives. When you really needed something and a true friend stepped in to help while others stepped away. Or, laughing when you really wanted to cry...It was nice to have an easy read with a good message!