Monday, January 05, 2009

Book Review: The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a great read that I just finished over the Holiday season. It's not often that I find a good fiction book, let alone, a young adult fiction book, that leaves me wanting more.  The writing style itself was enough to keep me reading. Set during WWII in Nazi, Germany, Death is coincidently, and cleverly, the narrator of the book. Not one for sentiment, he details the doings of Leisel Meminger, the book thief, during the war. The reader follows her as she settles into life with foster parents, grieves the loss of her brother, learns to read, makes new and interesting friends, befriends a Jewish man hidden in her basement, faces Death, steals books, and survives injustices to write about all of it. I loved all the hidden nuances in the book, the characters, the colors, the writing, and most of all, the perspective that Death has on the human race. It's a fascinating and interesting read that I hope all of you will get a chance to read!! 

3 comments:

Marisa said...

I just read this last fall. I loved it and found it fascinating. The writing style was excellent and the narration by Death was unique, clever, what's the word I'm looking for? I liked it. Considering the setting and subject matter, I was continually surprised how much I enjoyed reading it. I would add my recommendation.

mags said...

I read this in the fall and immediately added it to my top ten list! Having death as narrator was fascinating, especially his take on war and death in general. i gave two copies to my grandmothers for christmas. I agree it is an enjoyable read, something i'll read again!

Adri said...

Me too, me too! This is definitely on my 'highly recommended' list.