Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Book Review: Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale

This is a fun retelling of a little-known fairy tale, written by Utah native, Shannon Hale. It chronicles the life of a princess (a little bit fairy-tale) who can talk to animals and the wind (a little bit fantasy), trying to discover her unique abilities and her real place in the world (a little bit inspirational).
The story starts out kind of slow, and there are moments when I was wishing something would just happen, already! But the characters are magnetic and I came to be involved in their lives and invested in their circumstances. After reading the book, I went on the author's website and read the original fairy tale by the Brother's Grimm. I really liked the details and twists added by Hale; it is a good retelling. This is the first in a series of books, and I'm anxious to read more about these characters and the magical, long-ago and far away world they live in.

2 comments:

mags said...

I recently read "Book of a Thousand Days." Also by Shannon Hale. It was a great read. I am impressed by her heroines. They have such depth of character, strength and honesty. Great role models.

Nicole said...

I found this book to be very unique, because of it's many elements like you mentioned; a iittle fairytale, a little fantasy, and a little inspirational. I must admit that I was a little frustrated with the Princess. She seemed a little too docile for my liking. But I guess if she had fought for her rightful place, the book wouldn't have been long enough, and I probably would have accused her character as being too pushy. All in all, I was intrigued with the concept and found it to be an engaging read!