Tuesday, December 11, 2007

You Are My I Love You


One of my (many) favorite children’s picture books is “You Are My I Love You” by Maryann K. Cusimano. I received this book as a gift when my first son was born. The book may not be an instant favorite of children because it doesn’t exactly tell a story. Instead, it relates several metaphors about the roles parents and children play for each other. “I am your carrot sticks; you are my licorice. I am your dandelion; you are my first wish.” The rhyming text flows well and the watercolor pictures are darling. But, the main reason I like it is because the words make me think. Parents and children are what they are and just as much as they need US to help and care for them, we need THEM to love and teach us what is important in life. We each fill crucial roles in each others’ lives and that’s what makes parent/child relationships so special! I definitely recommend checking out this book!

2 comments:

Kami said...

After writing this, I found out that the author wrote sort of a "sequel," a Christmas book called "You are My Miracle." It was a NYT bestseller, so as you look for this one at the library, check them both out!

Adri said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Kami. I've read this book before (maybe a your house?) and loved it, too. I'll have to find that Christmas sequel...