Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fantasy Recommendations

The recommendations genre for this month is one I'm not particularly expert in. In fact, I hardly have any recommendations to give. Which is why i REALLY need the rest of you to report on the fantastical books you like to read. Since everyone likes Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia, those are off limits. What else have you read that is worth recommending???

I'm excited to hear your responses...

4 comments:

Leslie said...

The Goose Girl and Princess Academy (Newbery Honor Book) by Shannon Hale. I haven't read them yet, but have heard from multiple sources that they are fun reads.

Reluctant Nomad said...

Oh oh oh! I know one! What is it called?

Crap. Can't remember. Or maybe it wasn't fantasy.

Would 1984 be considered fantasy? Or just really freaky (and excellent, by the way)?

Aldous Huxley's "A Brave New World" is very 1984-ish, but again, I don't think either are classified as anything but futuristically freaky.

Oh--The Alvin Maker Series by Orson Scott Card. It's kind of Joseph-Smith based, is futuristic, I think it would be considered more fantasy than sci-fi. But I don't really know? What makes Fantasy vs. sci-fi?

Hmmm...

Adri said...

I'm wondering the same thing, Mara. What IS the difference between fantasy and sci-fi? I really feel UN-rounded (as opposed to well-rounded, don't you know) when it comes to either of these genres. Or, both if we can't figure out a difference. Maybe we can count 'Twilight' as fantasy, even though it is mostly sappy love saga, so I'll feel better about the whole thing. Okay? Agreed. Thanks...I needed that!

Monica Sue said...

Isn't fantasy something that includes fairies, magic, etc.

And Sci-fi includes space, aliens, new world type ideas.

Robert verified my thoughts. He agreed.