I thought it might be fun to add another dimension to our blog: book reviews. Please feel free to post your reviews, positive and negative, of any book you read. Of course, if you have something to say about a book we have read as a group, it would be best to put it in the comment section of that book's discussion post. But, I know many of you read other books in addition to our selections here, and I'd love to make this blog an even better resource for book recommendations. So...here goes...

Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini, is a coming-of-age novel about an Afgan boy, Amir. He grows up in a wealthy home in Afganistan, but eventually flees with his father to America when the Russians invade Kabul. The books deals with issues of class, race, religion, war, honesty, trust, and atonement for sin. As the story unfolds, the reader is exposed to Afgan and Muslim culture and a world view far different from that of democratic America. This book really opened my eyes to the atrocities of war for the civilians who live with it every day...especially "holy war" in which the aggressors feel they are acting out God's will as they murder, rape and destroy. I felt heartbroken for much of the novel, both for the way the outside forces affected Amir, but also for the issues he has with his relationships with others. In the end, however, this book gave me an increased appreciation for the freedom of America; gratitude that my children don't have to grow up in a war zone; and awareness of my own prejudices against those who are different from me.
2 comments:
Ok. I need to finish this. I read to a particularly heartbreaking part and then stopped. However, Matthew encouraged me to finish and now you have. Thank you.
I just read this book (a couple of months ago). Adri has written about it so well, so I don't have more to share. Just that I did like this book, as it truly opened my eyes to many things. It was one of the hardest I have ever read, but I was glad I read it.
Post a Comment