Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"Three Weeks with My Brother" Discussion

I hope you enjoyed this book. It caused a lot of inner reflection for me. I thought it was a delightful way to write a memoir or life history. Here are a couple discussion questions.

The mother of the two boys is very much revered through out the book as being the ideal mom yet she seems almost neglectful as a parent, giving the boys so much freedom at such a young age and causing them to grow up too fast. Did you feel that his description of her was inconsistent and did he offer any explanation for this? Would you allow this as a parent? In what ways do you think this freedom affected Micah and Nicholas?

In the book the following question is raised, “What do you think the secret of a long-lasting marriage is?” What is your answer to this question and do you agree with their answers (commitment & communication)?

Did you like the way the story was built around a trip? How do you think it added to the book?

3 comments:

Adri said...

Hi all...
This was a fun book and a good kick-off for the summer traveling season. I response to Laura's last question: I did like the way the story was built around the trip and the flashbacks to the past that were throughout the story. In fact, I just picked up June's book (The Ride of Our Lives) at the library, and it has a similar format. This might prove to be a good compare/contrast discussion next month???

I agree with Laura that the portrayal of the mother in this book was a little inconsistent. But, as I've thought about it I think that is how most of us think of people we love who have passed on: with a mixture of admiration for all that they were and regret for the mistakes they made. After all, no one is perfect. But it is evident that Nick and Micah very much admired their mother, despite her faults.

Personally, I liked this book because it took me into the mind of a writer, in a way. I love to write, but have always thought that I wasn't very good at writing fiction because I couldn't create characters out of the blue. It was fun to read about his characters and how they were based on people he really knew and inspired by situations around him. He was subjected to so much heartache,yet, it was the basis for all he has written about in his novels. And, I love that his mother was the one who put the whole idea of writing into his head in the first place. Has anyone else read any other Nicholas Sparks books? Do you like him as a writer?

Thanks, Laura, for a fun read!

Linn said...

Thanks Laura! I actually really liked this book and it changed my thinking about a lot of things. It really got me thinking about my parenting. I definitely enjoyed the switch between the trip and their childhood and thought that made it a fun and easy read.

About the mother--yikes, would I ever dare judge her now that I am a mom? I think she truly did her best. I think almost forty years ago, there was much more freedom than today, but even the freedom she allowed her two boys seemed very over the top. I honestly can't believe they are still alive.

More than what they were allowed to do, my issues were from the inequality among the kids. That is what hit me the hardest. I felt almost sick when I read of the time the other two received a new bike for Christmas and Nicholas received his same bike, painted. Or when his father was so incredibly unkind to him, while leaning on and being so kind to his other two children. He wrote of many more situations like this and even though the freedom that was allowed was frightening, I thought the blatant inequality was even more so. I think it affected the author in a much more negative way than any other thing. Okay, apparently I have issues about this particular subject. :)

My secret to a long-lasting marriage is to marry Jacob Allen. That's right, now matter how crazy you might be (maybe myself as an example) if you marry someone as good and kind as my husband, life always works out in the end.

Thanks again Laura! Have a great month everyone!

Jen Matthews said...

Thanks so much for such a great pick! I have recommended it to so many people.

The mother was very interesting. It makes you realize how amazing our bodies are with all the injuries and no Dr.s. As far as her parenting, I think she did the best that she knew how. I think that all their freedom led to a lot of creativity.

I think the secret to a long marriage (sorry Linn but we can't all marry Jacob ;) is commitment. I think if you are commited then you are better communicators or at least try and all of those other helpful long-lasting marriage "secrets". If you are commited then you do whatever else is required to make it work.

I loved the book. I liked the background on all of the places they visited. Now that I know his background I am anxious to read some of the other books that he wrote with his father, sister, and son in mind. I hope they are as good.

Thanks Laura!

JEN