Monday, April 02, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I hope you were able to find and enjoy A TRAIN TO POTEVKA. For some unknown reason I have always been intrigued by life in Russia. I have felt the cold Winter, the lack of food, poor employment, but most of all the fact that sometimes you couldn't even trust your own family members. The fear being that your children were interrogated and were forced to report your activities. I have a cousin who recently returned from a LDS Mission there and he said life depicted in A TRAIN TO POTEVKA is very much the way it is today. Reading this book has again renewed my appreciation for the good bountiful country we live in. Following are a few questions to ponder. I would love to read your thoughts and would like to know if you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

1. Do you think it was a coincidence that when Mike's food was stolen on the train that a young boy came to help him and also a young boy came to help him when he was trying to find dinner for the Missionaries? I found it interesting because he had such a love for his own, son, maybe that is why he was quick to notice them.

2. How do you think "The Package" found its way from California to The American Embassy in Finland, and then to the village of Potevka?

3. Before the package arrived Mike was thinking about breaking into someones home and stealing food for survival. I was impressed with his integrity and decision not to steal. I wonder if I were starving to death if I would have been as strong as he was. When starvation verses stealing what is right?

4. Did you like the fact that Mike fell in love again and married a woman much younger than he? I personally liked the romance, but have heard some different opinions.

I would love to hear your comments on this book.

Again hope you enjoyed!

Gayle

3 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks for choosing this book! It had been recommended to me before, but I hadn't taken time to read it, so this was a great excuse. I enjoyed it and, like Gayle, really appreciated the Russian history and cultural bites interspersed in the book, since I know next to nothing about Russia or its history.

I was intrigued by the beginning scene where he was beaten up by the mafia thugs and thought it was very movie-like....hard to believe that kind of thing can really happen! Also, I thought the whole story of his friend, Yuri, was amazing. A few years ago I went to the International Spy Museum in Washington DC and was amazed at the undercover world these covert officers live in. The story of Yuri reminded me of a section of the museum which told the stories of the most notorious U.S. traitors. I, for one, would be a HORRIBLE spy!

I'm not sure how the box ended up at the cabin in Potevka, except that it was truly a miracle. We recently discussed the principle of the 4th watch in Sunday School...that is that the Lord often comes to our aid at the last moment, testing our faith. I think this miracle for Mike Ramsdell came in the 4th watch, when his body and mind were on the verge of giving up, and, because of the relief, he was able to survive this ordeal.

I hadn't thought about the connection between young boys helping him in time of need....interesting thought. I do think it is important to note that as much hate and anger and selfishness that exists in the world, somehow there was always someone willing to offer kindness: the boy on the train, the injured man living in the shack who gave him food, the boys who got him into McDonald's, and the old woman who picked up the mail at the train in Potevka. We truly can be instruments of relief in the Lord's hands, if we let ourselves be.

Overall, I liked the book. I don't think Mr. Ramsdell is an incredible writer, by any means, but he had an amazing story to tell, and I enjoyed reading it. I got kind of bored at the end when he talked about his new wife, but overall, I thought it was interesting.

Thanks!
Adri

Linn said...

Thanks for the pick! I also enjoyed reading the book and was very intrigued by the beginning. I guess I realize those things happen in real life, but it was still a crazy thing to think about.

As far as the package, of course it was a miracle! :) That was by far my favorite part of the book! I want so much to live my life in a way that will serve others and help to be an answer to their prayers. I have definitely had so very many times when another person has been an answer to mine. So, when I realized that his sister had sent this package such a long time before the actual arrival, in order for this miracle to come to pass, I thought of how important it is to be aware of others and their situation and especially, to be close to the Spirit.

As far as the question about stealing, I hope that I could say I would make the same decision if I were starving, but I thought about the answer longer if it were my children or husband that were starving.

Thanks for the book--it was fun to read! Hope you are all well!

~Linn

Kami said...

When I saw how popular this book is right now (I was #52 on the library waiting list) I knew I had to read it! It was definitely worth my time. Thanks, Gayle!

What an amazing story Mr. Ramsdell had to tell! I think he did a good job recalling the details and really taking me there to the bitter cold winter in Russia. I also liked how he included several references to his "religious beliefs" and changes in his heart without it being solely a "Mormon novel." I assume it's been a successful book outside of Utah as well.

Several times during the book, I couldn't believe it was really true! To be frozen and starving in the middle of nowhere while on the job to serve our country? He was very brave and patient with the circumstances. I don't think I would have been as near as resourceful or strong through all of that. I'm pretty sure I would have eaten whatever food I could find, whether it was mine or not! :) It must be a horrible feeling to be so hungry!

I was glad to see Mike and Bonnie eventually get together in the end. It was refreshing to read the happy parts after all that depressing stuff!

Thanks!
Kami