Dear Everyone,
Sorry it's been a while since I've posted but I've had a very busy past couple of months. Hopefully with school back in sessions things will slow down.
Thanks to Kami I've been alerted it's my turn to pick a book for October. I thought with it being Halloween we should read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I have my copy ready. I will post questions later after I finish it.
I hope everyone will enjoy it.
Erin
P.S. Check out the discussion in the "comments" section of this post!
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I really enjoyed "Frankenstein" and thought it was interesting that Frankenstein is the name of the creator and not the created. That fact has gotten lost in the pop culture furor surrounding the monster.
Also, I loved all of her references (did yours have footnotes?) to the pieces of literature that shaped and formed her own writing. I find that the more I write, the more I want to quote from others as an explanation of where my ideas stem from. The opening page started with a quote from Paradise Lost:
Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man, did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
The last thing that I really liked and it helped me to understand Victor better, was the connection(I think it was in my prologue or footnotes) of Victor's feeling of loathing for his creature and postpartum depression. I relate to feeling a sense of dread and foreboding in relation to a creature that I created. So, Victor's madness can "make sense" in a modern time when we talk more openly about mental ills.
It seems to me that there is value in reading books that somehow have a setting in the "unreal." In my opinion, when one places a human in inhuman circumstances, it only serves to highlight what is indeed human about the character. It sets a spotlight on those facets that resonate within all of us.
So...if you haven't finished yet, READ ON! I highly recommend it.
Dear Bookworms,
I can't remember my password, so maybe Adri will post this on the blog site. I did listen to Frankenstein on tape. I had never read it before and I hate scary movies and such, but I quite liked this adventure. I agree with what Maralise said about postpartum depression as she related to how Victor felt creating the monster. I don't regret having a part in creating ANY of my children, but sometimes I DO open a can of worms when I create projects that are too big, complicated and time consuming. I feel like I've created a monster that I have to now deal with!! I finished the book on Halloween Night while I was waiting for trick or treaters. Layne was working, and the house was quiet and SPOOKY. I really kind of pysched myself out because the reader was very convincing. If music had been involved I would have had to turn off the recording....too scary for me. I'm amazed that the author could come up with such a long novel on a simple challenge by Lord Byron to write a ghost story. What an imagination! I'm sorry that you have been laid up, Erin. Get better quick. Thanksto all of you for your great book suggestions and comments. I pass them onto my other reader friends and they are always glad to go to the library with a recommendation from you! Fay
Well, I made it about three quarters of the way through this book, which seemed like wading through mud in some parts! I agree with Erin that Mary Shelley used WAY too many words to get her point across sometimes. But, the story within it all was very interesting.
My renewals at the library ran out and I had to return it without finishing. I did read this in high school as well, but I can't remember the ending. Who can fill me in on what happens? Does Frankenstein complete his creation of the female monster? Does he end up marrying Elizabeth?
I couldn't even skim through and find the significant parts of the story. So many words! I should have read the Cliffs notes or something! :)
Anyway, it was a fun book, Erin. Quite amazing imagination!
Post a Comment