Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gilead Discussion

Hello, Bookworms! Did anyone find time to read August's book, Gilead? I know it's been a busy summer for everyone! I loved the style and quality of the writing although it was somber and sad at times to read. I loved how Ms Robinson entertwined the character study with the political climate spanning three generations.

Tell us all what you think about the book in regards to:
Living with the knowledge that you will not live long. What would be the most important things that you would want to share with your children if you knew you wouldn't be around to say it when they were old enough to understand?

Did you think (like I did until I knew better by the end of the book) that John Ames Boughton and mama would end up together?

Do you think that the preacher John Ames felt trapped in Gilead because he stayed when his vigilante preacher father didn't?... or do you think he truly treasured his existence in this small Iowa town?

Do you know anyone who has lived in a different generation marriage...one spouse much older than the other? Has it seemed to affect their families in a negative or positive way?

Include anything else you want to say about the book. I always admire what all of you can take from something I just take as pleasure reading! Thanks. Fay

1 comment:

Jen Matthews said...

Thank you Fay for picking the book. I thought it was interesting and kind of sad. I have never really thought about what it would be like to know you will be dying soon. It made me think about what I would like to have accomplished when I am 80 and know my life could end any time. How does it feel to know that soon you will die. I can't imagine what he was feeling. It is hard to say what I would leave for my children but it did make me feel more of an urgency to be a better journal writer. Spencer's parents just left on thier second mission for 18 months. His mother is 70 and both of his parents have been diagnosed with cancer but are doing pretty good. But, it would be hard to leave children and grandchildren not knowing how much longer you have.

I do know a marriage of different generations. I haven't seen the marriage really close but I do know the son. My brother-in-law lost his mother to cancer a few years ago. His father-in his early 70's-remarried a girl who is in her late 30's-about a year after his mothers passing. The woman is divorced and has 6 kids of her own and she is pregnant with their second. Speaking with my brother-in-law, he says his father is a different person. He had retired and went back to work to support his new family. But, the woman is very different from his mother-which I found very interesting. His mother was very strict and conservative and this new gal is just the opposite. I think it is a little different scenario but it is interesting to think his 2 young children will probably not be old enough to remember very much of him when they are older. But, because she is young and active it has made him more active. He is much more involved in the lives of his stepchildren and younger children than he ever was in the lives of the older children. He has become a lot more care free. It has been interesting for his son to watch his father evolve into this new generation father.

The other thing I thought about was how grateful I am to have the fullness of the gospel. I can't imagine dying and not really knowing at all what to expect. He didn't seem to really know and understand exactly his relationship with Heavenly Father. He was very faithful to the knowledge he had and inspired those around him. It made me really appreciate my knowledge of the gospel. When he was quoting scripture about not being male or female or given in marriage after this life, I was grateful to understand the concept of eternal families.

Fay-thanks for giving me some new things to think about. I am intersted to see what others thought.