Thursday, June 29, 2006

"The Hiding Place" discussion

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is one of the most inspirational and life changing books I have ever read. I have added this to one of my all time favorite books. I have had a difficult time deciding what to focus the discussion on because this book if full of many different themes and topics of discussion. I’ve decided to take the “how-to’s we learned from Corrie” given in the preface. These “how-to’s” are:

1. Handling separation
2. Getting along with less
3. Security in the midst of insecurity
4. Forgiveness
5. How God can use weakness
6. Facing death
7. Dealing with difficult people
8. How to love your enemies
9. What to do when evil wins


Below are a few of my thoughts and feelings about the book as related to the above topics. Feel free to add your feelings about these topics or any others you’d like.

I was especially touched by Corrie’s parents and Betsie’s love for others. Father and mother continually took care of the poor, the needy, and those with poor health. Here Corrie’s mother was very ill but she continued to serve others. Corrie said her mother didn’t even realize that she herself was “shut-in” most of her life. It seems that mother coped with her illness by serving others. What a great lesson to learn. By forgetting about herself she was able to reach out and care for so many. Corrie’s Father was the same way. Their home was a haven of comfort and security for so many. When the time came for the ten Boom’s to take Jews into their home they did not hesitate. They had always been a loving and accepting family. Earlier in the book Corrie says this of her father, ‘Young and old, poor and rich, scholarly gentleman and illiterate servant girls-only to Father did it seem that they were all alike. That was Father’s secret; not that he overlooked the differences in people; that he didn’t know they were there.” What a way to live. He understood so well the teaching that in God’s eye’s we are all the same.
Betsie, in my eye’s, seems to understand so well the meaning of charity. She loved others unconditionally. Several times in the book Betsie prays for her enemies. It actually seems like Betsie didn’t have enemies. For example, Jan Vogel had betrayed so many yet Betsie felt no anger against him. A passage in the book reads, ‘“Betsie, don’t you feel anything about Jan Vogel? Doesn’t it bother you?’ ‘Oh yes, Corrie! Terribly! I’ve felt for him ever since I knew-and pray for him whenever his name comes into my mind. How dreadfully he must be suffering!’” Betsie looked at the world in such a different way then others. She continually found ways to show and express love. She recognized the good in others and never was quick to judge.

Next, I was touched by Betsie’s and Corrie’s attitude while in prison. They truly found security in the midst of insecurity. Their greatest source of strength came from the Bible. They knew they needed to read the word of God to sustain them in their time of adversity. They were willing to risk there own lives to have His word. They understood well that Christ has suffered even more then they had. They knew that Christ would lift their burdens if they turned to him. I especially love how they shared their Christian beliefs with others. That made all the difference. The attitude in the quarters changed once Corrie and Betsie arrived. Betsie used the teachings of the Bible in every situation. I was touched by the way she “Gave thanks in all circumstances.” Even the fleas were a blessing and Betsie gave thanks.

I could go on and on but I won’t. I would like to end with this quote from Corrie;

“…this is what the past if for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.”

I was reminded while reading this book that every experience in life has meaning. We don’t need to fear the future because God will prepare us and prepare a way for what lies ahead.

3 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

I'm thinking....will answer when something profound comes into my mind...I guess that means you could be waiting forever, but I'll try to make it shorter than that!

Linn said...

I absolutely love this book and have from the first time I read it! I would love to say something profound and wonderful like Taunya, but what she said is fabulous! I think it sums it up well and reading this book and then reading what Taunya wrote has made me want to be a better person.

I just want to say one quick thing about dealing with others. My dad is a very quiet, humble, good and funny man. I love and admire him more than he could ever imagine! He has taught me more about this idea of how we treat others than anyone I know and most everything he has taught me has been by example. I only remember him putting his thoughts into words twice and it has affected me profoundly--I only wish I acted on it more. He once told me that the true test of a person is that they treat their boss the same way they treat the custodian at their office building. Another time he mentioned that he sometimes wished their was an additional verse to the song "I Am a Child of God." (I believe most of you are familar with this song.) He said it should say, "I Am a Child of God...and so is everyone else."

Adri said...

Hi all,

I'm sooooo slow to respond, but must write to tell you all that this is my favorite book of all time. Thanks for picking it, Taunya. I first read it several years ago and was so moved by EVERY page. Betsie and Corrie ten Boom and their family are heros of mine---I hope that in the next life I can meet them and thank them for their courage and faith. They are an inspiration!

Here is my favorite part of the book:

"And as the cold increased, so did the special temptation of concentration-camp life: the temptation to think only of oneself. It took a thousand cunning forms. I quickly discovered that when I maneuvered our way toward the middle of the roll-call formation we had a little protection from the wind. I knew this was self-centered: when Betsie and I stood in the center, someone else had to stand on the edge. How easy it was to give it other names! I was acting only for Betsie's sake. We were in an important ministry and must keep well. It was colder in Poland than in Holland; these Polish women probably were not feeling the chill the way we were. Selfishness had a life of its own...and even if it wasn't right---it wasn't so VERY wrong, was it? Not wrong like sadism and murder and the other monstrous evils we saw in Ravensbruck every day. Oh this was the great ploy of Satan in that kingdom of his: to display such blatant evil that one could almost believe one's own secret sins didn't matter." (p. 213-214)

What amazing insight! The only thing I think Corrie said that was incorrect is she saw selfishness as the "special temptation of concentration-camp life," when, in fact, it is a temptation in everyday life for me. It is so easy to justify the things we do as right and necessary when we can look around and see so many "blatant evils." Yet, in watching out for and caring about others, Betsie and Corrie were able to help so many and no doubtedly secure for themselves a place among the angels. I hope and pray that I can be more aware of those around me and push off the temptation of selfishness in my own life.

Thanks, again, Taunya. This book is always an inspiration!